4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2012 10:07 AM by philmodjunk

FileMaker 12 Container Field

applelakshan1

Title

FileMaker 12 Container Field

Hello developers

I am working on FM 12 solution that is hosted on Mac Pro with FileMaker Server 12.

in this solution i need to linked Filemaker database to video files the already hosted on Mac server, 

Mac server have 2 hard drives , 01 is for the system and other is for data, all video fiels already hosted on data (folder name VIDEOX) section. this VIDEOX folder have morethan 800 video clips and growing every week.  so i need to added that clips also to the filemaker solution and manage it. we will use Filemaker pro and ipads to  remote login to access the database

all the video files size avarage is 400MB.

What i am looking for: users can upload video files to the syetsm (remoltey/localy), But this file always will store on data  drive  on folder name :VIDEOX with file name (should not changed). and video file should have linked with that container field. i already tested it with Filemaker it works greait with the local Filemaker pro on server. but when it use with Filemaker remotley it does not work, so i want to know how to make it work.

• 1. Re: FileMaker 12 Container Field
          davidanders

"i already tested it with Filemaker it works greait with the local Filemaker pro on server. but when it use with Filemaker remotley it does not work, so i want to know how to make it work"

Meaning???

1] Filemaker on a local computer opens the database and can access AND add video

2] Filemaker on a remote computer can not open the database OR can't access AND OR can not add video

3] Remote computer accessing the database with Instant Web Publishing has problems

4] iPad with FMP Go ver 12 can open the database but can not access or add video

• 2. Re: FileMaker 12 Container Field
            philmodjunk

On the storage options tab of field options specify the new external storage option and you should be able to upload videos to the server by inserting them into the container. And they should then be accessible to all users.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 12 Container Field
              applelakshan1

At David and Phil, 

Thanks for reply for my post, 

@David, 

1] Filemaker on a local computer opens the database and can access AND add video

2] Filemaker on a remote computer can not open the database OR can't access AND OR can not add video

this is correct

@phil , 

yes phil , i have tried it, but it changes the name of the file and it will change the file name it to code, most of our editors doesnot understand the codes. what they do after they render the project they simply upload it to server and clients can checked it. so it is necesery to the file name should not changed. i am looking for solution that will not changed the name of  the file.  

• 4. Re: FileMaker 12 Container Field
                philmodjunk

Can you describe what you are doing in more detail?

Unless you specify the secure storage option--which encrypts file names and paths, the file name should not change.