7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2012 4:27 AM by JoachimTiedeke

Filemaker 12 crashes when saving as PDF in windows XP with SP3

kyledraco

Title

Filemaker 12 crashes when saving as PDF in windows XP with SP3

I have Filemaker 12 Pro installed on a PC with Windows XP SP3. The windows updates are current and Adobe Reader version 10.1.3 is installed on the machine. I have a layout that was converted from Filemaker 11 that prints a report about 10 pages long. I put the layout in Preview mode and click "SAVE to PDF" button or "Save/send records as PDF" from the file menu. A small window showing "saving PDF" flashes and then windows reports Filemaker 12 has reported an error. I click do not send report and Filemaker 12 closes. I have tried to adjust the layout size to fit the page, create a script to save as PDF with error capture ON and changed the PDF options, but it errors out of Filemaker Pro each time I try to save the report as a PDF. I can save the report to excel with no problems, and the report saves to PDF with no issues on any Windows 7 PC. Any ideas what would be causing this? The save to PDF worked fine in version 11 of Filemaker Pro on this machine. Also, I uninstalled all version of Filemaker before I installed Filemaker 12 PRO and i have also uninstalled and reinstalled Filemaker 12 PRO at least once. I am also sure that the folder I am saving too is set to the correct security for writing/saving the file as I have saved several other files there during my testing of this problem.

• 1. Re: Filemaker 12 crashes when saving as PDF in windows XP with SP3
          philmodjunk

Try this test: Create a small, simple database file. Use Save as PDF from the file menu to create a PDF.

Does it crash?

If you do not get a crash from your test file, the problem may lie with your converted file. You might then try recovering it and testing the recovered copy of the file.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          2. Recover does not detect all problems
          3. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          4. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
          • 2. Re: Filemaker 12 crashes when saving as PDF in windows XP with SP3
            kyledraco

I recovered the Database and the problem is still there.  I can save to PDF from other layouts in that Database and from a new database.  However, that one layout errors out Filemaker each time I try to save to PDF.   Do I need to recreate that layout?  It is just odd that this only happens on that particular layout on that machine. 

• 3. Re: Filemaker 12 crashes when saving as PDF in windows XP with SP3
              philmodjunk

Stranger things have happened with FileMaker and a corrupted layout is not beyond the realm of possibility here.

I'd start from a blank layout and recreate your existing layout without copying any layout objects from your existing layout and see if I can save a PDF from the recreated layout. I'd make periodic test of save as PDF while creating the layout so if I get a crash, I can take a look at the element I just added to the layout prior to getting that result. I'd also make lots of backup copies while doing this---but that's a good practice to have when developing anyway.

For an automated method of saving lot's of copies while developing a file, see this thread: Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

• 4. Re: Filemaker 12 crashes when saving as PDF in windows XP with SP3
                kyledraco

I recreated the layout slowly saving as I went,  It started crashing almost immediately after I added my third field.  It may have something to do with these layouts being reports with sub summary parts.   I have another database in version 12, wrinten in 12 from scratch (not converted), that works fine on Windows 7.  I started testing it in Windows XP and several of the layouts also crash when trying to save as PDF, but not all of them.  These layouts also have sub summary parts. 

Both of these database act fine until you run them on Windows XP.  Upgrading the PCs that run Filemaker is not an option rigt now.  We only have Windows 7 on the IT pcs that we use to program the databases.  Is there a way I can submit this to Filemaker?  it is obviously a bug with Windows XP.

• 5. Re: Filemaker 12 crashes when saving as PDF in windows XP with SP3
                  philmodjunk

Copy the link to this thread to your clipboard. Click the "report an issue" tab at the top of this screen. When filling out the report form, you can paste a link to this thread to save typing.

• 6. Re: Filemaker 12 crashes when saving as PDF in windows XP with SP3
                    JamesSaldana

I'm having a similar problem with all of my FileMaker 12 databases on all of our Windows XP SP3 (all updates).

We do not software image of XP machines so their software and hardware configurations vary.

Anytime I attempt to generate a PDF FileMaker crashes 90% of the time with the exact same error that point to a specific FileMaker (Data Logic) DLL.

DLI_PDFL91.dll (DataLogic)

I don't see how this could be any form of db corruption since it does not crash 100% of the time when saving to PDF using the exact same record set. I'd open the db, go to the report and save as PDF and it crashes. I can repeat these exact steps with the exact same set of found records and it does not happen 100% of the time. With the exact same record set it should happen 100% of the time.

If I repeat using the same found set on OSX, Windows 7 or Windows 2008 Server R2 I cannot reproduce the problem. Never crashes.

Also did not happen on any OS when the files were on FileMaker 11.

• 7. Re: Filemaker 12 crashes when saving as PDF in windows XP with SP3
                      JoachimTiedeke

I have the same problem. It dose not metter whether I save the PDF out of an script or from the menu. The only way to avoid a crash is to save only a small amount of pages. Saving 10 pages works from the menu, but does not work all the time from the script. Therefore the problem seems to have something todo with memory management under XP SP3.

I work on a database running on a server under W7, the frontend is on XP SP3. There are no problems using a Mac OSX frontend. All funktions working fine.

We have some week computers with only 1GB Ram and single core in some meetingroom. These crash very frequently even on standard database functions. This leads me to the suggetion that there seems to be a memeory management problem.