6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2015 11:29 AM by schamblee

Filemaker 12 Pro Import stops after a certain amount of records

AnswerFeedback_21

Title

Filemaker 12 Pro Import stops after a certain amount of records

I am using Filemaker 12 pro and I run into an issue that is reoccurring when I run imports. It seems that My database will not recognize any new records after a certain random amount of records and not import them no matter how basic of an import I try. I constantly get the error that a records are skipped due to errors but that is absolutely no help and I see no logs because it is Pro. If I wipe my database and start clean I am then able to import again with no problems until I get a certain random amount of records again then it starts all over again. 

I have also tried to export records to every different type of file made available but I just end up missing data and I am still not able to import everything. I have also tried to recover which never finds any bad blocks. I have also made copies of recovered files and many other different combinations to import records. When I look at the records on the original files I find no missing fields or corrupt data. No matter what I employ nothing helps other than wiping out the database which negates what we use it for. I need all records present.

When I was using 11 we had upwards of 14,000 records no problems, with 12 I am barely able to get to 1,200 before problems occur. We only had import problems once we moved to 12. Any suggestions or ideas of what could be causing this? 

• 1. Re: Filemaker 12 Pro Import stops after a certain amount of records
          philmodjunk

That error message is typical of when a field validation option prevents a record from being imported or otherwise created. You should check those field options for possible issues.

You may also have a file that is damaged in a way that FileMaker is unable to detect or repair. 

• 2. Re: Filemaker 12 Pro Import stops after a certain amount of records
            AnswerFeedback_21

There is no way to tell which field it would be as I have no indications from the program. I have gone through every field and all data looks as it should. I also do not use any rules for validating other than validating during data entry.

I understand that the file may be damaged but I am looking for a prevention to this. I don't understand how we could use 11 for so long with no problems but with 12 it has been nothing but problems. I have all my records but if they are not kept together to be seen on IWP then this program is of no use. 

• 3. Re: Filemaker 12 Pro Import stops after a certain amount of records
              philmodjunk

It is unusual but not unheard of for a file to have hidden file damage that has no observable effect on the function of the file until either FileMaker or the computer's OS is upgraded. Then the software change has a problem with the hidden damage that is quite observable. That may be the case that you have here. If you still have a .FP7 copy of the file, you might try recovering a copy of the file and then converting the recovered copy to .FMP12 format to see if the file thus produced exhibits the same behavior.

• 4. Re: Filemaker 12 Pro Import stops after a certain amount of records
                AnswerFeedback_21

I was using 11 not 7.

After my initial upgrade I made visual changes to the file and imported the records there. So it is a brand new file that this went into. This is when the problems occurred. The older version, 11 is fine and functioned without any error.

I don't mean to be rude but I do not think you read my post very well. My main questions are, is there a way to prevent this from reoccurring? How can this be a a constant with this version?

• 5. Re: Filemaker 12 Pro Import stops after a certain amount of records
                  philmodjunk

I was using 11 not 7.

Yep and that that file ended with the file extension .fp7 as all files used with versions 7 through 11 use the same file format and same .fp7 file extension. In the same manner, FileMaker 12 and 13 share the same file format and use the .fmp12 file format.

If you are using a file converted from the older file format, it is not a brand new file as it was converted from an older copy.

What part of this sentence in your original most makes it clear that you created a brand new file instead of converting the older file?

When I was using 11 we had upwards of 14,000 records no problems, with 12 I am barely able to get to 1,200 before problems occur. We only had import problems once we moved to 12. Any suggestions or ideas of what could be causing this? 

While it's possible that you have encountered a bug, I am not convinced that this is the case. You are welcome to disagree and you are welcome to use Report an Issue to post that bug report where your post will be seen by techs that work for FIleMaker and they can check their bug database to see if it matches any known issues and they can ask for additional info or even to examine your file.

But please note that to date, there are very few bug reports reporting issues with FileMaker 12 importing data and those few do not match what you describe. Maybe you are the first to report this, but given that FileMaker 13 is now the latest version, I would expect to see such a report posted much sooner after the release of FileMaker 12.

• 6. Re: Filemaker 12 Pro Import stops after a certain amount of records
                    schamblee

I've seen post with some import problem as you have stated, but the fix was as PhilModJunk stated, it was a corrupt file, or validation problem, and or importing a corrupt picture into a container field.  Phil answers more of these post than anyone and probably know smore of  about filemaker bugs then FM techs.    I probably read half as many as Phil and sometime I misunderstand the question, we are all human.   What I read sound as if he didn't miss a thing.  I know it can be very stressful when things go wrong especially when you invested extra money.  As PhilModJunk stated I would take another copy of your fp7 file and convert and run recover then try to import your data, to verify the results, then if Ok then make changes to your  layout.   Note that the conversion from fp7 to fmp12, that all objects do not always convert as expected.  12 was a major upgrade from 11.    There are many user that will try and help you get your problem solved.  As PhilModJunk stated FM Tech will take a look at your file if all else fails.   Good Luck.