6 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 6:09 PM by johnw54

Filemaker 12 quits unexpectedly

johnw54

Title

Filemaker 12 quits unexpectedly

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

• 1. Re: Filemaker 12 quits unexpectedly
          TKnTexas

Mac? Windows?  What versions of OS?  Has it ever worked?  

• 2. Re: Filemaker 12 quits unexpectedly
            davidanders

When opening? When creating a database? When working in Layout? When adding record?

Locally or across the network?

Has it been reinstalled?

• 3. Re: Filemaker 12 quits unexpectedly
              philmodjunk

As the others have pointed out, you really need to describe the issue in much more detail. It's possible that FileMaker is crashing or it could be that a script with a Close window or Exit Application step is closing the file when you don't expect it to.

Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
                   Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

To rule out some other issues with your specific computer on Windows systems,

Select Run from the start menu and type in:

msconfig

Then, under the Services tab, you can stop all non-Microsoft services. If this solves the issue, then you need to look at what services you stopped and see which is one is the culprit.

What is reported when you recover the file?
                   The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1.           Recover does not detect all problems
              3.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
              5.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
                   That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 4. Re: Filemaker 12 quits unexpectedly
                johnw54

Mac 10.9.1  FM 12.0v5  started happening 30 days ago. Used to work fine and still does most of the time.  Happens in layout when I'm moving quickly from layout to layout via buttons.  Running locally and FM has not been reinstalled.  I just deleted the FM cache in Library to see if that would help.  Haven't had a chance to test yet.

• 5. Re: Filemaker 12 quits unexpectedly
                  timcimbura

John Williams...did you every figure out what this issue was related to? We're seeing the same thing on Mac OS with version 12 and 13 of FileMaker.

• 6. Re: Filemaker 12 quits unexpectedly
                    johnw54

Hi Tim, I do not have an answer for this.  I can tell you it happens on both my iMac and Macbook and it crashes often.  Also when I run the same code on a Windows machine it does NOT crash.