10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 2:16 PM by JCrawford

Filemaker 12 v3 crashes Crashes..Click on Tab Order

rodmastar

Title

Filemaker 12 v3 crashes Crashes..Click on Tab Order

This is a pain... comes and go... last time I rebooted... then went straight to it and and it bombs crashes..

Open my layout..
           click TAB ORDER

Bye.. bye....

bombs out the  Filemaker engine no errors

• 1. Re: Filemaker 12 v3 crashes Crashes..Click on Tab Order
          schamblee

Your database my be corrupt.  Run recover on your databases.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 12 v3 crashes Crashes..Click on Tab Order
            rodmastar

Recover is a band aid

I have to many hours doing FM... FM9 on up until now    V12

Never b4 such a error 

I spend a lot of time working on same app.. doing the same kinds of things working on layouts..

Debug, Stepping, writing code..   like you guys out there... moving around...

WHAT should i do to put the ducks in a roll once in a while EXIT FM    before attempting a Tab Order...   Have done so... after a reboot

save as

recovery

open my app to layout

edit layout

SET TAB        *** BOMBS UN PREDICABLE ***********

I need to adjust my Tabs b/c  i forget often . adding a new item on the layout.. messes up my users Tab key to next field..

I don't know why.. but i  freak everytime I press Tab Order button...

Something happening not right////   , its not do a good job of  keeping what going... causes it  BOMBS OUT    

Hint:     I sometimes get this....

Error    R6025  "Pure virtual Function Call   ???

• 3. Re: Filemaker 12 v3 crashes Crashes..Click on Tab Order
              schamblee

I agree recovery is a bandaid but it can fix some problem and that why you need to make backups.  Just because it didn't stop in prior version doesn't mean the file wasn't already corrupt.  It could have happen any time.  Strange errors like you describe, sound like a corrupt file too me.  It could be corruption in data or in the layout.  If you don't have a backup, you have no choice but to use recover. 

Make a backup first of your file.
                   Run recover  (It could still have some corruption even if recover doesn't report)
                   Then on the recoverd file do a save without the data
                   Then import the data from the recovered file.
                   I know these steps seem crazy, but I seen it fix problems.  Like I said a backup is the best option if you have one.  PhilmodJunk has an super backup app that you can schedule to backup automatically.

See this thread for backup : Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

• 4. Re: Filemaker 12 v3 crashes Crashes..Click on Tab Order
                rodmastar

I am weak on these steps.. can you please help.. to clearify

Make a backup first of your file.

......  In FM i /File/ Copy as   to Bakupfolder/ MycopyRod1

Run recover  (It could still have some corruption even if recover 

.......Then I /File   run Recover     using file I just save to  MycopyRod1

Then on the recoverd file do a save without the data

.......  I don't get   SAVE W/O DATA?     Do i close.. then go open MyCopyRod1 again??

Then import the data from the recovered file.

This is a rough one MycopyRod1    has 15 + files in it?     ( I have a routine already that goes through each file importing.. so i use this...  it deletes all, then imports from MyCopyRod1_old.fmp12         a special renamed`1 copy

Thanks lots

• 5. Re: Filemaker 12 v3 crashes Crashes..Click on Tab Order
                  rodmastar

More thought

I really have 2 files     myprog_fmp12      the one i run    and   myData_fmp12      that has most my data files

When I copy as     its only copyying this one prog file..   amd I suppose to execute   myData and copy as too?

Maybe my recovering process is only running on prog file... and i did to to this to both?

• 6. Re: Filemaker 12 v3 crashes Crashes..Click on Tab Order
                    schamblee

1. You run recover on your file to see if it reports any errors.  Your file may be fixed after this step.
                         2.  Clone (no-record)
                         3.  Run Recover on this Clone copy to but sure there are still no errors.
                         4.  Import your Data Into this clone copy.
                         These step are not gauaranteed to fix the problem.  These steps are to try to make sure that recover repairs the db including the data.

Information from filemaker about recover.

http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/recover.39.1.html

Here is some other steps that may help.

http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/recover.39.12.html

• 7. Re: Filemaker 12 v3 crashes Crashes..Click on Tab Order
                      philmodjunk

I have seen other reports in Report An Issue where FileMaker 12 crashed when a user clicked on the tab order. So far, I haven't seen a clear cut result where FileMaker TS people have been able to identify the patter as most users are not experiencing this issue.

You definitely need to check your file for damage as even if a damaged file isn't the cause, the crash itself can damage your

• 8. Re: Filemaker 12 v3 crashes Crashes..Click on Tab Order
                        JCrawford

I have FMPAdvanced 12 V. 4, running on Windows (Vista) and it has just begun to crash in Layout view when Set Tab Order is selected. I followed the steps above but it crashed under the same circumstances for these four files.

•           Original File
                        •      
                        •           Original File Recovered
                        •      
                        •           Original File Recovered Clone
                        •      
                        •           Original File Recoverd Clone Recovered

It does not happen on every layout, but so far the crashes have occurred on two of three layouts tested (out of 65 layouts). One of the two error messages is displayed here.

• 9. Re: Filemaker 12 v3 crashes Crashes..Click on Tab Order
                          JCrawford

Here is the second error message with details.

• 10. Re: Filemaker 12 v3 crashes Crashes..Click on Tab Order
                            JCrawford

This problem is occuring on two files now. I only had two active files converted to V 12.4 and both of them now crash. One of them is my business and invoicing file and I haven't modified it in years. Layouts with portals were more likely to crash than layouts without them when selecting "Set Tab Order" in Layout Mode.

When I converted several V 11 files to V 12.4 today, they did not crash when using Set Tab order. So I don't know what the pattern is. I really need to deliver a functional product to my client. Any new tips for this previously reported problem?