What operating system? Sounds like your system does not have .fmp12 files set up with Filemaker 13 as the default application.
Thanks, Phil. So what to do? I'm using MacOSX 10.10, on an old MacBook Air
"It's a problem because I can't distinguish between my data source files and the Filemaker database"
Please explain this?
I believe PhilModJunk is referring to the Set File type association.
Set File Type Associations
STEPS FOR OS X
- Right-click an OS X file and choose Get Info.
- In the Open with section, click the Open with menu and choose Other.
- Navigate to Macintosh HD > Users > <user name> > Applications
- Select a application you want, choose Always Open With and click Add.
- Click Change All and close the file info menu. Now all files of this type will open in the selected application.
STEPS FOR WINDOWS
- Right-click a Windows file and choose Open with > Choose default program.
- Select the application you want to use with that type of file and make sure Use this app for all <file_extension> files is selected. Now all files of this type will open in the selected application.
Rick Whitelaw--I am used to seeing an icon on a Filemaker documents <Filemaker 11. My FM13 documents has a blank icon with a corner turned down (like a text file). I am merging some text exports into a filemaker database(s) in a folder, and I can't distinguish between what are text files,and what are Filemaker documents. I can see the .fm12 extension, but an icon would be easier
Thanks, S Chamblee. I already tried that and it doesn't work. (I did it again to be sure.)
I have uploaded an image of a file on my desktop, and the "Get Info" for the same file.
It states Filemaker Pro (default) which doesn't state which version of FMP that is select. Have you actually select the dropdown and went to the FMP folder and selected FMP?
I noticed that, too. I'm sure I have chosen the right FM application version 13 at least twice, but I'll do it again...Nope. No luck.
I fixed the problem. I went to Terminal, typed "kill Dock", quit Terminal, then logged out and back in again. Databases now have FM 13 icons. Thanks for help.