0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2015 11:10 AM by maser

FileMaker 13.0v5, 10.10.2 and an iMac with a Fusion drive -- why the slow launch time?

maser

Title

FileMaker 13.0v5, 10.10.2 and an iMac with a Fusion drive -- why the slow launch time?

A number of people here have asked me this, so I thought I'd ask...

Whenever anybody reboots their computer, the *first time* they launch FileMaker Pro (now at 13.0v5) -- just the application -- not any specific database -- it can take about 10-20 seconds (depending on computer model) to actually bring up the "Open New or Existing File" dialog box with lots of app bouncing in the dock, etc.

If the user quits and relaunches the application, this application launch time drops significantly (like to about 4-5 seconds..)    Booting in "safe mode" makes no difference.  On the MacBook Air I have in my office -- booted in "safe mode" FMP takes 16 seconds to launch the first time and 10 seconds to launch after that.   Interestingly enough, If I reboot the same laptop in normal mode, FMP launches in 12 seconds the first time, but 4 seconds after that (so "safe boot" mode is even worse here...)

Is there something being loaded in the background when FileMaker is *first* launched after a system restart that would explain the very slow application launch time?   If so, can that be tweaked somehow?

Thanks!