12 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2015 1:32 PM by MorkAfur

FileMaker 14

MorkAfur

Title

FileMaker 14

Am I to understand that as of now I cannot buy a perpetual license for FMP 14 as I have with every other version?

FM now wants me to pay by the month???  What?!!

This is a deal breaker if so and why I abandoned plans to use FMS on every project since version 13 of FMS.

Hope I have misunderstood the apparent monthly licensing "options".

- m

• 1. Re: FileMaker 14
          SteveMartino

Edited:.....

• 2. Re: FileMaker 14
            MorkAfur

It's confusing...

If you go here: http://store.filemaker.com/US/ENG/RTL/product/purchase/

You'll see the expected upgrade option.

But, if you go here: https://store.filemaker.com/US/ENG/LIC

You'll see the monthly options. (Yuck)

I'm OK with them adding payment options but not taking away options like they did with Server.

Thanks,

-- m

• 3. Re: FileMaker 14
              MorkAfur

It's confusing...

If you go here: http://store.filemaker.com/US/ENG/RTL/product/purchase/

You'll see the expected upgrade option.

But, if you go here: https://store.filemaker.com/US/ENG/LIC

You'll see the monthly options. (Yuck)

I'm OK with them adding payment options but not taking away options like they did with Server.

Thanks,

-- m

• 4. Re: FileMaker 14
                codecruncher

It looks to me that a single user license is available as perpetual license while a license for multiple users is only available as a monthly subscription.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 14
                  MorkAfur

I would consider upgrading if FM would just enhance the usability of the existing product, not endlessly glob on more "features".

IMHO, an object oriented re-write would be a great idea and make the product easier to use.

$329 upgrade for the silly little script window enhancements seems, on its face, ridiculous to me.  Of course, I haven't played with 14, but if you STILL can't grow a file picker dialog or you STILL cannot grow the data viewer panes, then FMP remains severely limited. It seems that these minor enhancements would be so easy.

I don't think FM understands what would help users be more productive.

FM: "Hail the new script interface!"

:(

- m

• 6. Re: FileMaker 14
                    codecruncher

$329 upgrade for the silly little script window enhancements seems, on its face, ridiculous to me.  Of course, I haven't played with 14...

It's probably a good idea to hit the sandbox and play around with FM 14 before jumping to conclusions. The upgrade price is $196 and offers numerous enhancements.

• 7. Re: FileMaker 14
                      MorkAfur

Good point.

Where did you see the upgrade price for $196 (from 13 Advanced -> 14 Advanced)?

- m

• 8. Re: FileMaker 14
                        philmodjunk

I would consider upgrading if FM would just enhance the usability of the existing product,

Yesterday, I closed 63 different bug report records in the Known Bugs List as they are no reported as fixed with the release of FM Pro, Go, Adv or Server 14.0.1. There likely are more to close that I don't yet know about.

This represents a 10 fold increase over the usual number of "closures" that I have done with previous version releases.

• 9. Re: FileMaker 14
                          MorkAfur

Hi Phil,

Your point being that 14 has more bugs (lack of quality control) or what?

Not sure what you're getting at.

- m

• 10. Re: FileMaker 14
                            philmodjunk

I'm pointing out that FMP 14 appears to FIX far more long standing bugs than any other release in recent memory. Either that or they are making a much better effort to inform people that the bugs were fixed. My guess is that it's a mix of the two with it being more of the first with a bit of the latter.

• 11. Re: FileMaker 14
                              rouelf_1

Just my two cents, .. fixing bugs is Great, and Necessary. Enhancements with new (probably better) features is also Great. But fixing bugs should be free or close to it. And then if you want enhancements one would upgrade at a reasonable cost. Perhaps the current upgrade plan is a bit pushy to not have to deal with so many bugs, and getting enhancements. Guess it costs to get things fixed, and then improved.

• 12. Re: FileMaker 14
                                MorkAfur

I agree with the other poster. In my view, fixing bugs is hardly a "selling feature".

Having the software be easier to use IS a selling feature. And, these enhancements would be EASY TO DO (let the field picker and Data Viewer's "Results" area be resizable, for examples). Those are the kinds of changes I would pay to get. I can't count on two hands the number of times the silly restrictions on non-resizability has gotten in my way and slowed me down.

I'm surprised that FM hasn't done a revolutionary object oriented re-write with a simpler interface overall. FMP is stuck in the non-object oriented, now-ancient, "programming" model. Having been OO for so long, I'm now used to FM's old style (again), and I would agree that FM is extremely fast to get things done, but every time I use the script interface (same scripts in 14), I'm back in the '80s. (Where's that eight-track tape?)

So, IMHO, just globing on these evolutionary new features ("All hail the new script interface!") won't help me be more productive. It may "demo well", but I'm guessing it wouldn't be that much of a productivity booster in practice.

OK, I realize nobody at FM is listening to what I'm saying so I'll just stick with 13 until version15 and see if there's anything useful for me then.

- m