1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2016 6:34 PM by hoib

Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro

fredochs

Title

Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro

Am I reading the announcement for FM14 and pricing video correctly? Did they really get rid of the stand-alone runtime database solution? That's a real problem for me. I am developing a solution for my church and we don't have the money to buy Filemaker Pro just to run the solution. I have put many days into this solution and promised the congregation that we wouldn't have to pay for the runtime solution. Now, I find out that's not true if we move to 14. How totally disappointing this is.

I'm currently on 12 and was hoping to move to 14, but now it sounds like my only option is to get 13 and live with that? 12 is so unstable on Yosemite, I really need to move on to something else.

• 1. Re: Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro
          schamblee

I just purchased the upgrade to FMPA 14 and it has the ability to create a runtime solution.  I haven't test yet, but I did open the Developer Utilities and it is there.  I also checked the help and it give directions how to create a runtime in 14.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro
            fredochs

Well, that's a relief. Thanks, Stacy. If you happen to test it, I'd love to hear more. But sounds great.

• 3. Re: Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro
              Markm49UK

Actually you were correct in the first instance Fred - from the release notes of FM14 - 

APIs, technologies, or features to be deprecated
              As FileMaker Pro evolves, the list of APIs and technologies it supports may change. FileMaker recommends that you migrate your solution to use other APIs, technologies, or alternative features of the product, because the deprecated features may be deleted from this or a future version of the product. 

1. FileMaker Pro runtime
              3. Support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks 
              5. Support for 32-bit FileMaker Pro
              • 4. Re: Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro
                schamblee

It is in the current version of FMPA14.  The release notes says they may delete it in a future version, which does not mean that FM will not replace it with something else.  http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14502/~/filemaker-pro-14-and-filemaker-pro-14-advanced-release-notes  I think they need to update the runtime and add more abilities to it, so maybe it is a good thing.

• 5. Re: Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro
                  Markm49UK

Yes Stacy you are correct in that it is currently in FMPA14 however the only conclusion that can be drawn from the information so far provided is that at some point the runtime WILL be removed either from a new version of 14 or from perhaps FM15.  You cannot surmise that it will be replaced or improved by the information provided - based on recent experience I strongly suspect it will not be replaced with an improved offering unless that offering comes with a cost.

• 6. Re: Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro
                    schamblee

Markm49UK

What is your point?   The question was did they get rid of runtimes and no they have not yet.  I answered the question.   Yes it may or may not be removed in FM15, 16, 17, or so on......There is no guarantee that there will be a version 15 or any other version.   Software companies change directions sometime and stop making a product.  Should I worry about something that may or may not happen?  Not.  So no one should purchase 14 (That creates runtime) because FM may remove runtimes in version 15?  Why because it is in 14 and which is what this post was about.  Yes, I can surmise that it may be replaced or improved, FM in the pass has not just drop something without replacing it or giving access to the older items, such as themes that were deprecated.  

"based on recent experience I strongly suspect it will not be replaced with an improved offering unless that offering comes with a cost"  

FM changed FMGo and started giving it away free. Yea I can see from pass experience where that improved offering came with a cost.

• 7. Re: Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro
                      Markm49UK

Wow you are a bit touchy about this - the fact is that so far FM have indicated it will be removed but not indicated what it will be replaced with, if at all.

The runtime is now a deprecated feature and as such you should not base any decisions on deployment cost based on the availability of this product feature.  If Filemaker have other intentions then they need to bring them to the party quickly to deal with our valid concerns regarding this issue.

• 8. Re: Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro
                        fredochs

I agree with you there, MarkM, about intentions. Pretty difficult to make decisions based on what we know at this point.

• 9. Re: Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro
                          schamblee

All deprecated means is that it can be remove in a future a product.  The post was about a current product.  As I stated in my post above there is no guarantee that FMP will have a version 15 or any other version beyond 14.  FM does not provide that type information.  You should not make decision based on any future product, all decision should be made on current products and currently the runtime is available.   I been developing applications for over twenty five years.  Microsoft has just stop making a product and FM may decided to do that too one day, when they do, I will find another product as I have done in the pass.  I purchased FMPA 14 upgrade to learn and test, but I would not move any clients to 14 for at least a year. 13 is marketable for a few more years, then I see positives about 14, so there are several years before I would have to change products even if FM stopped making the runtime.  I'm sure FM will have a replacement of some kind, they are in the business of making money.           

• 10. Re: Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro
                            philmodjunk

Personally, I wouldn't choose not to trade in my current car for the newer model if the model after that isn't going to have an air conditioner. The model I am trading up to will have an AC that works just fine after all. But I might choose not to trade up from that model to the next model after that, might choose a completely different one at that time--but I'd wait to see how that currently hypothetical new model actually turns out before making any such decision.

One should never take any software product for granted. The next new version may be completely unsuited for you in any number of ways from being unacceptably bug ridden to a change in feature set that just won't work for you. But it's a bit premature to make those decisions based on an early report that indicates a specific feature will be deprecated. As Stacy indicated, for all that we know, this is being deprecated because it won't be needed in the next version due to new features not yet described. If that doesn't happen, and it's a very distinct possibility as the runtime option has always been something that (In my opinion from looking at past history) hasn't had unanimous support from the powers that be inside FileMaker inc--it's probably seen as a threat to FileMaker Pro market share. Please don't argue with me about that, I don't agree with that myself.

What does make sense is to post why losing run times in FMP 15 will be a problem for you using FileMaker's Feature Request page in order to bring this to the attention of those in FMP Inc that make the decisions on what is or is not included as a feature of future FMP releases: http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

• 11. Re: Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro
                              Markm49UK

Philmodjunk - yes I agree with your statement however would you upgrade your car to the next model if at any point during the life of that car the manufacturer could remove your AC?  That is what a deprecated technology is - it means that at some stage in the future that feature is going to be removed - it might be in the next model(version) or it may be in the current model.  If this does not concern you then fine but it does me and Filemaker need to make a statement to explain the situation - I am not alone in my concern on this front.

• 12. Re: Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro
                                schamblee

It means they are going to remove it in a future product, not in your current product.  I didn't say it wasn't a concern, but as Phil as stated you need to give those concern to the people that matter.   I have thousand of products and non of those companies talk to me about their business and I don't worry about it either.  If Samsung decided to remove the remote controls from their TVs, I would switch brands at the time I decided to buy a new TV.  My current Samsung TV has a super great picture and the current remote works fine, so I'm not worry what they going to do in the future.   I'm also a developer in FoxPro and I've been using since version 2.0 before Microsoft purchased.  Microsoft didn't talk it over with me when they decided to kill the product with version 9.   I still have customers using databases I created in VFP 9.  I started with FM in version 12 because it was time to find a new product.  VFP runtimes are way ahead of FM, but I had to make a business decision incase in the next Windows VFP stops working.  I would be dead from a heart attack if I worried about what ifs.  I have to base my business on what is, then move on. 

I'm sure FM will have something better which is needed.  I have made product request about improving the Runtime and I'm hoping they have decided to improve it.  I have read on forums where users were wanting a FMGo type product for Desktop applications (Post over the years), which means you still could run standalone databases and would not need to create a runtime.  There are several ways FMI could go.  Have you been happy over all with FMI choices? I have over all, there are things I would liked changed  or different so I make a feature request and I might start a post asking other to request the same improvement, but I don't worry about purchasing a current  version.

• 13. Re: Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro
                                  fredochs

Thanks, Phil. I just entered one. Hopefully, it will have an effect ,though I must say nothing I have ever entered on that site has in the past.

WRT not taking for granted anything about any software any time, that makes sense and is entirely ridiculous at the same time. Of course, we have to assume that the software we are using is going to do some things, many things and perhaps all the things it does now forever. Otherwise we wouldn't use any software at all. Otherwise we wouldn't know what to do that would have any enduring value. Supposed FM decided not to provide data base functionality any more. As far as I can see that possibility is well within the realm of you assertion.

I have been a developer since 1965 believe it or not, and though semi-retired now, I still do a lot for myself and my church. And it is always a huge disruption if some key feature disappears or gets replaced by a not so free "feature". We humans always want the software, cars, hot air balloons, pizza, whatever, to give us more for less and not less for more year after year. Computers and software of all things are an illustration of that fact that that can actually be done. When we are disappointed in that expectation by the failure of the provider to fill the needs of the customer, it is plain awful if it is something we or our clients depend on. I apologize for being human, but so far we seem to be the only FM customers in the universe.

It might be useful to separate what can happen from what should happen IMHO.

• 14. Re: Filemaker 14 no more runtime solutions without purchasing Filemaker Pro
                                    Markm49UK

FileMaker recommends that you migrate your solution to use other APIs, technologies, or alternative features of the product, because the deprecated features may be deleted from this or a future version of the product. 

1 2 Previous Next