3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2015 11:21 AM by schamblee

Filemaker 14 won't open in newly upgraded Windows 8.1

RosemarieRadford

Title

Filemaker 14 won't open in newly upgraded Windows 8.1

Hi there,

My computer recently upgraded to Windows 8.1. Filemaker 14 was working fine on Windows 8 before the update. Immediately after the upgrade, I tried to open Filemaker 14 and I was given the following error message:

"FileMaker Pro has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I uninstalled Filemaker 14 and Bonjour, and reinstalled Filemaker 14, allowing Bonjour to reinstall as well. The message remains. Am I missing a step? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

• 1. Re: Filemaker 14 won't open in newly upgraded Windows 8.1
          philmodjunk

Are you launching FileMaker by opening a database file or are you directly launching the application without trying to open a file at the same time?

If you are opening a file each time this happens, try using the start menu to open the application without opening the file.

If that does not produce a crash try creating a brand new file and try opening other files than the one that produced the crash.

If this only happens when you open a specific file or files--especially if a brand new test file does not produce a crash, it is possible that your file is damaged. It's not unheard of for a file to have latent (hidden) file damage that produces no observable problems with the file until you a) upgrade to a new version of Filemaker or b) upgrade to a new OS version or c) change from one platform to another.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 14 won't open in newly upgraded Windows 8.1
            RosemarieRadford

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. Applying the next update to Windows fixed the problem.

-Rose

• 3. Re: Filemaker 14 won't open in newly upgraded Windows 8.1
              schamblee

FM14 run on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10.  

Windows will  download and install an update, the update does not finish installing until the computer is rebooted. Since the updated is partly installed, Windows prevents some programs from running.  If you do a reboot without installing the update which Windows allows, you still can't run the software.   It's a good idea to stay on top of Windows updates because it can have some unexpected side effects if you don't. 

Just added this bit just incase someone else runs across this post with a similar problem.      

Glad you got your issue resolved.