2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 7:44 PM by comment_1

Filemaker 5

jwharr

Title

Filemaker 5

I'm doing some tech work for a small buisness and they finally decided to update their computers after 7 years.  The main thing they're worried about with getting new machines is that all their payroll information is stored in an antiquated copy of Filemaker Pro (version 5 I believe) and they want to make sure that it will all transfer over.  I'm not sure that 10 year old software will even run on Vista, so does anyone know if their information will export cleanly into FMP 10?

• 1. Re: Filemaker 5
          davidanders

Depends.

One Database? Multiple databases?

Uses plugins?

Uses repeating fields? 

If one database without plugins, and without repeating fields, it is likely that the conversion would take less than a minute and be painless.

The trying would be the proving. 

David Anders

The Computer Guy, Seattle 

• 2. Re: Filemaker 5
            comment_1

jwharr wrote:
            all their payroll information is stored in an antiquated copy of Filemaker Pro (version 5 I believe) and they want to make sure that it will all transfer over.

There is no reason why the data couldn't be preserved perfectly. Filemaker 10 can convert .fp5 files and import from them. To be absolutely safe, export the data from the existing files into a text format (XML is best for this, as it preserves both field names and types).

How well the converted files will preserve their functionality is another question.