5 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 1:55 PM by philmodjunk

Filemaker 5 to 11 conversion

MDC

Title

Filemaker 5 to 11 conversion

Hello all, 

Having an issue when saving from a window.  Filemaker just gives the hourglass and stays there.  This is a multiple file database.  

I have changed the scripts to look like this - 

• Set Field [ new_quote_item::quote; MAIN::docid ]
      • Commit Records/Requests [ Skip data entry validation; No dialog ]
      • Set Field [ new_quote_item::authoring; "" ]
      • Perform Script [ “Create Item” from file: “quote_item 2” ]
      • Select Window [ Current Window ]
      • Go to Layout [ “Quotation - New” (MAIN) ]
      • Perform Script [ “Quotation - Renumber Items” ]

Before the Commit Records/Requests didnt exist and I would get the Error locked record screen.  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Filemaker 5 to 11 conversion
          philmodjunk

From the title, are these files that have recently been converted from FileMaker 5?

If you have FileMaker advanced, enable the script debugger and run this script so that you can watch it execute one step at a time.

If you do not have advanced, you can insert a series of Show Custom dialog steps to see which steps execute before the script gets trapped in an apparently infinite loop.

You might also examine the "Create Item" from file: "quote_item 2" script to see if there's an issue with that script.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 5 to 11 conversion
            MDC

Yes recently converted.  I do have the advanced version but when I run the script debugger it doesnt really show much info because everything seems to slow down, the hourglass comes up and with the flashing ESC and will not go away.  If I do hit escape it will save my changes to the record though.  I also added the commit records\requests lines after each set field line in the quote item 2.

• 3. Re: Filemaker 5 to 11 conversion
              philmodjunk

Yes, but the debugger should tell you where in the script the hour glass first appears and that could be a very significant clue.

It's also possible your file is damaged, but we need to rule out possible script issues first.

• 4. Re: Filemaker 5 to 11 conversion
                MDC

It starts the hourglass as soon as it hits the script (quotation- save new)

Set Field [ new_quote_item::quote; MAIN::docid ]
                Commit Records/Requests [ Skip data entry validation; No dialog ]
                Set Field [ new_quote_item::authoring; "" ]
                Perform Script [ “Create Item” from file: “quote_item 2” ]
                Select Window [ Current Window ]
                Go to Layout [ “Quotation - New” (MAIN) ]
                Perform Script [ “Quotation - Renumber Items” ]

• 5. Re: Filemaker 5 to 11 conversion
                  philmodjunk

Go To Layout ["Quotation - New" (Main)] ?

IF so, does that layout actually appear?

Are there any summary fields on this layout?

Any fields that are calculations that use an aggregate functions such as Sum, or Average?

Does a progress bar appear or just the hour glass?

Is this the layout that was current when the script first started executing?