7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2009 10:57 AM by TSGal

FileMaker 5.0v1 Problem - Attention Legacy Pros

scctech

Title

FileMaker 5.0v1 Problem - Attention Legacy Pros

I know this is a very old application, but we do still use it on a regular basis.  It has been brought to my attention from a user that some data is missing in a couple of databases.  More specifically, there is data that was entered between 2002 and 2007 that was inputted into a certain field that is no longer there.  We use FileMaker to keep records for our truck drivers and some of the misc notes for these drivers is missing.  I have some questions about this (for all of you legacy FileMaker pros out there):

1) Is it possible for data in a certain field of a database to become corrupt and disappear?  If a field were corrupt, wouldn't it be corrupt across the board?  For example, some data is missing in the misc notes field for some drivers, but not all data and not for all drivers.

2) Since this is such a legacy application, is it possible to get support on this? 

3) Can a repair be ran on the database with the issue?  I've tried restoring a database and looked at it on another computer and the restored file is the same as the one that is having the issue - no backups older than a week. 

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: FileMaker 5.0v1 Problem - Attention Legacy Pros
          blackcat795

I would guess that it is one of two things; either the said data has been deleted accidentally or on purpose, alternatively the relationship to the data has been broken an example of this would be if a driver exists & so does relavent data in other files & the key that linke the two has been changed, probably the Driver ID code.

Has anyone been doing any work on the system recently?

Has any Id been changed?

When did this appear to happen? recently?

DO you have older backups?

Blackcat

• 2. Re: FileMaker 5.0v1 Problem - Attention Legacy Pros
            TSGal

scctech:

The reply by Blackcat is excellent.  (Thank you!).  I will add that you can recover the file.  If FileMaker is launched, close the file.  Pull down the File menu and select "Recover" and recover the file in question.  The information from the file is read and placed in a new RECOVERED file.  When finished, open the RECOVERED file.  It is not a cure-all, but it is a way to repair a file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: FileMaker 5.0v1 Problem - Attention Legacy Pros
              Sorbsbuster

Can I chip in a word of caution to the 'Recover' step?  From memory, in FM5 you will find (sometimes) that as part of the recovery process it will create 'new' fields and insert them into the field list.  The database will be fully 'recovered', and the post-recovery dialogue will confirm that, but if you check 'Define Fields' you may find additional fields called 'Recovered1, Recovered2, Recovered3..' etc.  They will be there in addtion to the original fields.

There are two problems with that:

- it makes the field list look amateurish (minor)

- it totally messes up, without warning, any scripted import or export routines, for example (major)

The belt-and-braces advice is usually to recover the data-file as described, then get a known good clone from your back-up of the original file structure and import all of the recovered data into that clone.

I recognise with your week-old back-up this is probably not possible for you, but it may help you (or someone else) avoid an import / export (and when I think about it, a LookUp?) problem too, down the line a bit.

Maybe TSGal can confirm if that behaviour was killed after FM3?

HTH,

Alan.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 5.0v1 Problem - Attention Legacy Pros
                TSGal

Sorbsbuster:

Your observations are correct.

If there is damage to the structure, and FileMaker recognizes there are fields there but cannot determine the name of the field(s), then "Recovered 1".... "Recovered n" is used.

As I said.  This is not a cure-all.  However, assuming data is disappearing and not mistakenly deleted, more data could disappear if the situation isn't addressed.

Most likely, the file is not damaged, but if I didn't mention this option, I would be neglectful in my duties by not presenting as many possible solutions.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: FileMaker 5.0v1 Problem - Attention Legacy Pros
                  Sorbsbuster

Of course, of course!  The 'Recover' command has saved my bacon on innumerable occasions!  I was only trying to get to the Pass and head off the chance...

Sorry,

Alan.

• 6. Re: FileMaker 5.0v1 Problem - Attention Legacy Pros
                    scctech

Thanks for your input everyone! I've tried the Recover command, but the data is still missing when using the recovered database. When recovering a database, how far back does it go to recover data?

Any other thoughts? 

• 7. Re: FileMaker 5.0v1 Problem - Attention Legacy Pros
                      TSGal

scctech:

I'm not sure what you mean by "how far back does it go to recover data".  The Recover command will take the current file and clean up any possible corruption to the file.  It will reset the indices, layouts, data, etc.  It appears the data is lost from the current file, so you may want to look for an older backup to retrieve the data.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.