11 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2009 10:29 AM by BertrandLambert

filemaker 7 and 10 compatibility

applezpiez

Title

filemaker 7 and 10 compatibility

hiz, i am currently using filemaker pro 7 and i was thinking if i were to upgrade to version 10, can my other colleagues who are still using version 7 able to view and open my filemaker 10 databases?

please advise.

cheers,
      applez

• 1. Re: filemaker 7 and 10 compatibility
          TSGal

appleplez:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, the file format for FileMaker Pro 7 and FileMaker Pro 10 are identical.  However, the FileMaker Pro 7 users will not see any new features implemented in FileMaker Pro 8, 9 and 10.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: filemaker 7 and 10 compatibility
            applezpiez

Thanks TSGal,

Great! So in another words, filemaker pro 7 users will still be able to open any .fp7 database (which was implemented in filemaker pro 10) for importing and exporting data out.

cheers,

Feliz

• 3. Re: filemaker 7 and 10 compatibility
              TSGal

applepiez:

Yes, that is correct.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: filemaker 7 and 10 compatibility
                applezpiez

Hiz TSGal,

Thanks for your fast response :smileyhappy:

What will happen if they open any database with new features? Will it give them error and overwrite my existing codes which was implemented in v10?

So can i say that only the main developer will need to upgrade to V10 for developing, while the basic users can still use back v7 for exporting data. Or does the new IWP or PHP support exporting data out?

cheers,
                applepiez

• 5. Re: filemaker 7 and 10 compatibility
                  TSGal

applepiez:

You can open a database with new features.  If you are going to use new features, you may want to use the "Get (ApplicationVersion)" function to determine the version of FileMaker Pro.  For example, in a script:

If [ Get (ApplicationVersion) = "10" ]

<FileMaker 10 features>

Else

<non FileMaker 10 features>

End If

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: filemaker 7 and 10 compatibility
                    kmbatctc

Great thread because I am wondering the same thing.  I am sttuggling with your answer so forgive me for asking again.  If I as administrator change to V10 and the other two people working in the data file on our server are using V9, will they still be able to work in the data without issues?  I would like otbe able to take advantage of the easier scripting and menu bars etc, and I love the web link feature.  WOul dmy using them cause any problems for the otehr two users?

We have 3 Pro 9 versions, not server and we share the data file on our server.

Thanks!!!!!!

• 7. Re: filemaker 7 and 10 compatibility
                      TSGal

kmbatctc:

No reason to forgive you!  Everyone on this forum is in some stage of learning FileMaker Pro, so if you are not fully understanding the concept, please continue to ask questions!  I just want everyone to use and get the most out of FileMaker Pro.

First, the file format for FileMaker Pro 7, 8, 9 and 10 is the same.  Anybody using FileMaker Pro 7 can open a FileMaker Pro 10 file, and vice versa.  In your case, it is FileMaker Pro 9 and FileMaker Pro 10, and you can all use the same file.

The only clarification is that the FileMaker Pro 9 users will not be able to use some of the new features in FileMaker Pro 10.  In addition, if you are using FileMaker Pro 10 and include a new feature, it won't be available to the FileMaker Pro 9 users.  It won't crash or corrupt the file.  For example, if I created a script trigger in FileMaker Pro 10 to display a dialog box after the field is modified, the script trigger will not work in FileMaker Pro 9, and no dialog box appears.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: filemaker 7 and 10 compatibility
                        kmbatctc

Thank you!  it appears to me that creating scripts and layouts and perhaps even importing files would be easier in Pro 10.  That would be my reason at first and then ultimately once I determined the real advantages for all of us I would upgrade the other two users as well.

Is that a reasonable assumption about Pro 10 and ease of use?

K

• 9. Re: filemaker 7 and 10 compatibility
                          TSGal

kmbatctc:

It's difficult to define"Ease of use", since it is subjective.

There are more features in FileMaker Pro, so it can make things more confusing, but those added features can also help save time with setup and execution, especially with script triggers.  Sorry I can't give you a straight answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: filemaker 7 and 10 compatibility
                            kmbatctc
                               Thanks.  I think I will try the free trial version and then decide.  I am not a programmer!  Creating scripts can be confusing to me.  I have managed to create quite a few that work great but it would be nice to be better at it.  I know that i only use the bare minimum of what Filemaker can do.  I'd really like to take more advantage of it.
                            • 11. Re: filemaker 7 and 10 compatibility
                              BertrandLambert

Thanks all,

you gave me all respnses I need.

I can use FM 10 to continue my development while using FM 9 in the shop and the restaurant.

regards

Bertrand