Chances are good (bad?) that your file is indeed damaged in a way that does not cause noticeable issues in FileMaker 7 but creates problems during the file conversion.
Try using FileMaker 7 to recover your file and then try converting the recovered copy to FileMaker 12 format.
A couple of options
- Make a backup copy of the file, delete ALL data in the backup to create a clean, empty file.
- Open the empty file in FP12 and see if it will convert.
- If it does, import all of your data to the new FP12 file
- Find someone who can convert to some versions in-between. Perhaps to v8, v9, v11 etc. (this could be tried with the 'full' or the empty file.
- This may allow some clean up as they are upgraded
- Find someone with FMPro Advanced who can use the File Maintenance tools to compact and optimize the file
Any copy of FileMaker, Pro or ADvanced can save a compressed copy of the file from the Save a Copy As... menu option in the File menu.
Thanks Phil, its been so long since I used FM Pro and not Advanced. The Optimize button if FPA does not exist in the regular version though, correct?
Or does Compress also optimize? I assume optimize does a little more, but never researched 'exactly' what it does.
Hmmm, I just checked my copy of FMP 12 advanced again. I don't see an optimize button. Where do you find that?
My mistake Phil. I just got my FMPA12 and have been using v9 up until just the other day. FMPA9 has the "Optimize" button along with the "Compact File" button under the "File Maintenance.." menu item. I did not realize that had been removed at some point.