2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2009 8:26 AM by Pstone

Filemaker 9 - List View: Can you do it in reverse?

Pstone

Title

Filemaker 9 - List View: Can you do it in reverse?

Senario:

Machine 1 and Machine 2 are both looking at a very simple layout in list mode. Single line of data... say for example just name, phone # and date. Both are accessing a server to view data.

There are say 5 records so you see on both machines:

Record 1 data

Record 2 data

Record 3 data

Record 4 data

Record 5 data

Now on machine #1 you hit ^N, I don't care where the cursor is, say at the bottom like usual so you enter in Record 6 data and when you click off, I want it to show up on the other machine ON THE TOP pushing all the other records down:

Record 6 data

Record 1 data

Record 2 data

Record 3 data

Record 4 data

Record 5 data

Normally it always puts it on the bottom.

The reason being is that I want to sort a phone list so that the latest calls are at the top of the sorted list view (reverse date) and then you can have one machine just sit there with no one touching it and when someone on another machine enters in a new call, it shows up AT THE TOP. Normally it puts it at the bottom and since by then all the data is way off the screen, you don't see the update unless you scroll down which no one will ever do.

I've tried a script sort with the Put Cursor At TOP but that fails. Sure the cursor is there but so what, new records still show at the bottom.

Possible?

• 1. Re: Filemaker 9 - List View: Can you do it in reverse?
          TSGal

Pstone:

Thank you for your post.

Using FileMaker Pro 9, you can force Machine 1 to resort and put Record 6 on top, but Machine 2 will still display Record 6 at the bottom.

With the Auto-sort feature of FileMaker Pro 10, the information is automatically updated on all machines, so Machine 1 and Machine 2 will both see Record 6 at the top.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Filemaker 9 - List View: Can you do it in reverse?
            Pstone

Thanks TSGAL - Yea, I was afraid of that. I think my whole earlier situation in trying to get machine #2 to update with new records after being given a find set was misinformation of some sort from the client. I talked to FileMaker Pro about it and apparently it is IMPOSSIBLE once given a Find Set to have a machine that does the find, show new records as they come in. That only works with the FIND ALL (^J) feature. If you do a FIND * (Wildcard) and still get everything (seems to be the same as a ^J/FIND ALL) you won't get new updates!

I begged them to add this functionality but they didn't seem to care :(

It would be really great if an update would add this functionality and quite honestly, I don't know how or why it isn't there already. Seems to be at least something that should be given the option to do. For instance, if you want to see only items that have today's date, you should be able (in list view of course), Find // in the date field and once it displays everything, any NEW item that comes in with todays date from another source SHOULD appear automatically on the screen. It doesn't right now.

My solution will be to have to upgrade my client to FMP10 and make a script that does the FIND ALL and sets autosort to sort their DATE field in reverse putting all new entries at the TOP of the screen, pushing everything down. Not what they wanted ideally, but it will work.

Peter