4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2008 4:33 PM by travbrack

FileMaker 9 Pro Client install fail

travbrack

Title

FileMaker 9 Pro Client install fail

Hi there I'm installing FM9 Pro on a client.  Worked fine on several computers but on one in particular it won't install.  If I enable logging, I get this message:

MSI (s) (A0:84) [12:22:08:666]: Product: FileMaker Pro 9 -- You cannot install or uninstall FileMaker on this version of Windows. Please refer to the system requirements in the installation instructions for more information.

You cannot install or uninstall FileMaker on this version of Windows. Please refer to the system requirements in the installation instructions for more information.

Action ended 12:22:08: LaunchConditions. Return value 3.

Action ended 12:22:08: INSTALL. Return value 3.

MSI (s) (A0:84) [12:22:08:712]: Product: FileMaker Pro 9 -- Installation operation failed.

I looked at the system requirements, and the computer exceeds them:

-----------Requirements-----------

• Windows Vista Home, Business, or Ultimate: Pentium III 800 MHz or faster with 512 MB RAM
      • Windows XP SP2: Pentium III 500 MHz or faster with 256 MB RAM
      • SVGA (800x600) or higher resolution video adapter and display

-----------Requirements-----------

-----------Actual Specs-----------

• AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+ 
      • Current Clock Speed: 2199MHz (2.199GHz)
      • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
      • Service Pack 2
      • Total Physical Memory: 469221376 Bytes (447.48MB) or (0.44GB) 
      • has a cd-rom drive
      • Screen Height: 768
      • Screen Width: 1024 
      • SVGA
      •  

-----------Actual Specs-----------

So as far as I can tell, everything should be in order.  The only thing I notice is that it's an AMD processor but that shouldn't matter, right?

Thanks for your help

Travis 

• 1. Re: FileMaker 9 Pro Client install fail
          TSGal

travbrack:

Thank you for your post.

First of all, an AMD Athlon chip is fine.

One possibility why you are receiving this error message is if you create a Windows account and put the account under Guests group.  If you log onto Windows with the above account an launch the installer, you will receive the error message that you cannot install FileMaker on this version of Windows.

Another possibility is if you disable UAC (User Account Control) and create a standard user account.  Again, if you log in as the standard user account, choose a language and proceed, you will get the same error.

Let me know if this helps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FileMaker 9 Pro Client install fail
            travbrack

Thanks for the response

I'm running the install as my admin network user.  The user is a member of the domain admins group on active directory.  Domain admins is a member of the local group on the computer.

It's worked on every other computer on my network (about 8 of them) like this.

Thanks 

• 3. Re: FileMaker 9 Pro Client install fail
              TSGal

travbrack:

Thanks for the clarification.

I ran this information by a couple of other support agents here, and they agree that it comes down to not having full admin privileges.  Can you make sure this admin group has full privileges, and also make sure it is exactly the same as one of the other working machines?  Otherwise, I'm not sure where else to go on this.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FileMaker 9 Pro Client install fail
                travbrack

For some reason domain admins was not a member of the local admin group on the computer.  Go figure

Thanks for your help!