7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2008 8:42 AM by dgrzelak_1

Filemaker 9 running slower than Filemaker 8 on same computers

billcoop

Title

Filemaker 9 running slower than Filemaker 8 on same computers

We have a relatively small network of about a dozen PC and Mac computers. We are currently migrating from FileMaker 8.0v1 to FileMaker 9.0v3 on both the Macs and PCs. The Macs are PowerPC G5s with 1.25Gb RAM, using Operating System X.4.11, whilst the PCs are using Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 2.
      We are serving the file across the network from a Mac running X.4.11 and using FileMaker Server 9.0.
      We have noticed a significant difference in the reaction speed when flicking between pages on the same layout. In Filemaker 8, the pages refresh instantly, yet when we open the same file in Filemaker 9 there is a delay of a fraction of a second, which makes navigation between pages frustrating.
      I have checked the Preference pane in both Filemaker 8 and 9 and made sure that they match exactly but that hasn't made a difference.
      I would be grateful for any light you might be able to shed on our problem.

Thanks in advance

Bill 

• 1. Re: Filemaker 9 running slower than Filemaker 8 on same computers
          TSGal

Bill:

Thank you for your post.

If you open the file locally, do you still see the same screen flicker?  Is it happening on both Mac and Windows clients?  Any additional information you can supply will help us determine possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Filemaker 9 running slower than Filemaker 8 on same computers
            billcoop

We have run various tests so far to determine the problem. I have built the database locally, using Filemaker 9, on a G5 with operating system X.4.11 with a Dual 1.8Gz Power Pc with 1.25 Gb RAM. When I open the file locally I do still get the screen flicker/delay. I can be looking at a layout with a series of records which are simply names and addresses. When I click the 'book' icon in the status area in Filemaker 9 in Browse mode there is a slight delay in passing from one record to the next. However, if I open the exact same file in Filemaker 8 there is no delay whatsoever, the records flick instantaneously. I have also opened the same file on a Windows PC, running Filemaker 8 and again there is no delay at all. The one thing I haven't done yet is to upgrade one of our PCs to Filemaker 9, but I am reluctant to do this at this time as it would appear that Filemaker 9 is not refreshing as quickly as Filemaker 8 did. My boss has also accessed the same file remotely using a VPN from his home, using Filemaker 8. He says that there is no delay in flicking through the records.

• 3. Re: Filemaker 9 running slower than Filemaker 8 on same computers
              TSGal

BillSwift:

Thanks for the additional information.  Unfortunately, I cannot duplicate the problem, so I have forwarded this entire thread to our Software Quality Assurance (Testing) department for additional information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Filemaker 9 running slower than Filemaker 8 on same computers
                billcoop

Hi,

I was wondering how and when I might hear back from your Software Quality Assurance (Testing) department regarding the speed difference between FileMaker 8 and 9.

Many thanks

Bill 

• 5. Re: Filemaker 9 running slower than Filemaker 8 on same computers
                  TSGal

Bill:

Sorry.  I haven't heard anything yet.  I'm putting in another request tonight, and I'll talk with my boss on Monday to make sure you get an answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Filemaker 9 running slower than Filemaker 8 on same computers
                    TSGal

Bill:

Here is some information I received today from our Software Quality Assurance (Testing) department....

"I am not sure based on the information provided what the cause of the issue is.  I would need more information in order to make an accurate statement.

There is a slight/miniscule difference in the text engine between FileMaker Pro 8 and FileMaker Pro 9.  Do the name and address fields rely on any calculations or lookups/related fields?  The customer should not recommend comparing Windows to Mac as they are totally different.  On Windows, the dual buffering is not working and that causes the Windows platform to refresh a lot more than on the Mac side.

If I am to investigate this further, I would request the customer send a sample database that he is seeing this issue, and allow us some time to work on this."

----------- 

If you want to send in your file, I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Filemaker 9 running slower than Filemaker 8 on same computers
                      dgrzelak_1

I would like to add that I am having similar issues with FMP9.  I would like to know if a FileMaker ever came to a resolution with the rebuilding pages and slow transfer between records.