1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 9:20 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Access over VPN

SMCITDepartment

Title

Filemaker Access over VPN

Hi, we are running FM Server 11 on a Apple XServe. We have setup VPN access for our staff so they can log in remotely if they wish to. This sounds all nice and simple but we have run into a wierd problem.

The VPN connects fine and if the user is using and ethernet cable everything works well. However if the user is connecting over wireless they cannot access any fileMaker databases. I have looked into all of the below varibles and cannot find anything that sticks out.

* End users ISP (doesn't seem to matter)
           * End users Wireless device (Doesn't seem to matter)
           * End users router (Doesn's seem to matter)
           * OS Version (Tried Mac OS X 10.6 to 10.8
           * FIleMaker Client version (affects 10 and 11 and all versions of these)

All of the laptops are Apple MacBook Pros with either OS X 10.6 or 10.8 installed, I have yet to run some tests on a PC, I am hoping to do that tonight.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Access over VPN
          philmodjunk

What form of "wireless" connection are you attempting to use? WiFi or a "cell phone" type connection? This should work for WiFi as it should function just like the wired connection, but the other option connects to your existing LAN via your internet router and it must be properly configured before access is possible.