3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2015 8:35 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker and Bar Codes

MikeMartish

Title

Filemaker and Bar Codes

Would anyone recommend any good plug-ins/code to incorporate bar code creation into FM?

Mike

• 1. Re: Filemaker and Bar Codes
          philmodjunk

Just set up an asset tracking solution for bar codes. Didn't need any plug ins to do it. Just installed a code 39 barcode font and used it for printing bar codes. (Code 39 barcoding is simpler to set up as it doesn't incorporate a "check digit".)

Scanning bar codes from a USB connected bar code scanner is pretty straight forward also as you can set up almost any bar code scanner to work in "keyboard emulation mode" and then your computer thinks your bar code scanner is just another keyboard hooked up to it.

• 2. Re: Filemaker and Bar Codes
            MikeMartish

We are a prepress house and need to generate many different types of codes. Any ideas?

Mike

• 3. Re: Filemaker and Bar Codes
              philmodjunk

There are many different fonts and custom functions can be used (there are several websites where you can search for these) can be set up to produce the needed validation calculations so that you can set up a calculation to combine the text you want as a barcode with the needed check digit. (and if you don't have FileMaker Advanced, you can use a conventional calculation to supply check digits.) The needed algorithm for a check digit is usually found quite easily via a web search. I set up my iPhone to scan UPC bar codes and had no trouble finding the needed algorithm and also a custom function for the needed check digit. (I used this info to validate the iPhone scans but the same code could have been used in FileMaker Pro to create a bar code.)

You can also web search for FileMaker bar code plug ins to see what is offered, but I can't recommend one over the other. I haven't used any of them as I haven't needed to.