8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2011 8:39 AM by rjlevesque

Filemaker and HTML/Hyperlinks

RBowering

Title

Filemaker and HTML/Hyperlinks

Hi

I'm not technically savvy in Filemaker and haven't done any scripting so please be gentle with me. Also I think I,ve done a pretty good check of these forums and can't find the answer i want.

I have a website where I sell products. I'm now maintaining my product list in Filemaker. I use an online sales company (Tradebit) to host my products for download.

I have two needs of Filemaker (above and beyond data management and reporting):

1.  I have a listing on my homepage of all my prudtcs, containing 3 fields: Product name, Product description, Product hyperlink (text calculated field)

I'd like all the hyperlink fields to display "Get it here" but, in fact be a hyperlink to the url actually contained in the field

For example the record might say: 'Beat The Intro', 'Lots of Beat the intro questions', 'http://rogettes........1020120'

I'd like the third field to display 'Get it here' but actually send the customer to the underlying link. Examples at bottom of http://www.mymusicquiz.net/index.asp

2. On other pages I have some java code for each product that comes from Tradebit and displays the product and an image and price and links to purchase. I can create the java code for each product by using a calculation field. I want to output, either using Filemaker or whatever other way is easier, the products 2 across and as many as necessary down, see halfway down http://www.mymusicquiz.net/index.asp 

Although I do have products displaying currently on the site, it is a very manual process and want to use Filemaker to do the donkey work and, no I don't have a site with an underlying database system

Thanks

• 1. Re: Filemaker and HTML/Hyperlinks
          RBowering

By way of illustration of what I mean, I've added a couple of screenshots (which reminded me, it would also be nice to have alternate colours for the listing rows)

Screenshot 1 - Product Listing

Screenshot 2: Detailed product listing, generated from javascript

• 2. Re: Filemaker and HTML/Hyperlinks
            rjlevesque

Going to try and help here if I can:

-----------------------------------------------------

I have two needs of Filemaker (above and beyond data management and reporting): 

NO, ACTUALLY EVERYTHING YOU SPEAK ABOUT HERE DEALS WITH DATA MANAGEMENT

1.  I have a listing on my homepage of all my prudtcs, containing 3 fields: Product name, Product description, Product hyperlink (text calculated field)

I'd like all the hyperlink fields to display "Get it here" but, in fact be a hyperlink to the url actually contained in the field

For example the record might say: 'Beat The Intro', 'Lots of Beat the intro questions', 'http://rogettes........1020120'

I'd like the third field to display 'Get it here' but actually send the customer to the underlying link. Examples at bottom of http://www.mymusicquiz.net/index.asp

SO FAR THIS IS ALL WEB DEVELOPMENT STUFF, ARE YOU RUNNING FMP IN WEB SERVER MODE? I DON'T SEE ANY REAL FMP QUESTIONS YET...

2. On other pages I have some java code for each product that comes from Tradebit and displays the product and an image and price and links to purchase. I can create the java code for each product by using a calculation field. I want to output, either using Filemaker or whatever other way is easier, the products 2 across and as many as necessary down, see halfway down http://www.mymusicquiz.net/index.asp 

Although I do have products displaying currently on the site, it is a very manual process and want to use Filemaker to do the donkey work and, no I don't have a site with an underlying database system

YOUR SITE IS DATABASE DRIVEN, IT MAY NOT BE DIRECTLY FROM YOUR BUILD/SITE BUT IT IS DATA DRIVEN...YOU ARE SIMPLY PULLING FROM OTHER PEOPLES DATABASE SYSTEMS. 

NOW WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU ASKING FOR FMP TO DO? ALL THE THINGS YOU MENTIONED HERE ARE HTML RELATED, NOT FMP. ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE FMP POPULATE YOUR WEB PAGES? OR MAKE THE WEB SITE POPULATE YOUR FMP INVENTORY?

• 3. Re: Filemaker and HTML/Hyperlinks
              RBowering

OK, my website is database driven but it doesn't actaully have any database technology.

Originally when I only had a few items I would manually draw tables and put stuff in them.

Latterly I used a product called Superbase (a database product of the early 90s, which I *could* code) and programmed it to take product details, urls and everything else in the database and I wrote a program to generate HTML pages.

I moved to MS Access because it was more reliable, but to create my listings I had to create queries and copy to Excel to format and then paste the resulting tables in Frontpage and then into my webpage.

I use a site managed by 'Spanglefish' it is free but the web pages are static HTML code with only the Body bit editable directly by HTML (there are GUIs to help place the Top bar, The Menu structure and other stuff

SO. I just want to create HTML tables from a Filtered Query out of Filemaker. Not the whole site or even the whole page, but tables to place in Frontpage and then into the site. That's why I'd like to generate urls from Filemaker fields.

If you see the screenshots: The first is a table, taken from Access to Excel and messed around with to get the shading, format and (I can't remember how I did it) the 'get it here' link.

The second is an html table, 2 columns wide with javascript in each cell. The jave can be a calculated field as the only change between each cell of java is the product id. The data is then 'brought' from Tradebit into my table cells on my site

Yes I should be using database driven sites, but it's a part time thing that has evolved slowly from completely manual to halfway manual! Don't have the knowledge or energy to satrt learning DB driven websites just yet

I suppose I could contiue using Access, Excel, Frontpage, but since I got an iPad I keep my sales data updated on that using Filemaker Go and like using it and Filemaker Pro (11) together. So, I was hoping Filemaker Go would be able to provide the functionality for me to ditch MS Access and MS Excel and produce the output I want

• 4. Re: Filemaker and HTML/Hyperlinks
                RBowering

Couple of mistakes above.

I want to use Filemake PRO on the last line not GO

And for clarification (at the start), it should be Database driven, but there's no technology on my site to support that

• 5. Re: Filemaker and HTML/Hyperlinks
                  philmodjunk

At some point you may want to consider publishing your database to the web with IWP (Instant Web Publishing) or CWP ( Custom Web Publishing ). You can contract with a number of companies that will host your FileMaker database so that it publishes to the web. Both options will require some research and study on your part, but you can then eliminate all the copy and paste operations just to update your site.

• 6. Re: Filemaker and HTML/Hyperlinks
                    rjlevesque

Perfect! Thanks that is all the info I needed! =)

Wow, that's a tall order and I am not sure if it is possible with the current set of tools you have to work with. I do know if you have a database driven site, backed by say mySQL, then you could communicate with it fairly well with FMP. FMP talks to SQL very well, I think that would do exactly what you want, very easily. You would simply keep up your inventory DB and it will feed the info to your web site whenever you need.

However, you would need a database system to make it work. You can actually get php/mySQL supported web hosting now days very very cheap. Does this sound like it would achieve your end goal? If yes, I can show you how to do this.

• 7. Re: Filemaker and HTML/Hyperlinks
                      RBowering

..and finally, I should answer your question

OUR SITE IS DATABASE DRIVEN, IT MAY NOT BE DIRECTLY FROM YOUR BUILD/SITE BUT IT IS DATA DRIVEN...YOU ARE SIMPLY PULLING FROM OTHER PEOPLES DATABASE SYSTEMS. 

I am pulling my own data from a hosting system (for screenshot 2)

NOW WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU ASKING FOR FMP TO DO? ALL THE THINGS YOU MENTIONED HERE ARE HTML RELATED, NOT FMP. ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE FMP POPULATE YOUR WEB PAGES? OR MAKE THE WEB SITE POPULATE YOUR FMP INVENTORY?

I want FMP to create a) a hyperlinked field in the first request and b) to populate my web pages for second request

• 8. Re: Filemaker and HTML/Hyperlinks
                        rjlevesque

And for the record, the very best way would be Phils choice of FMP hosting as the perfect solution for you...but this solution would of course involve a monthly fee. You mentioned this is a part time thing for you now using  free host so not sure if you want to go that route yet or not but it would be the very best solution of all.

In my opinion of course.  =)