7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2013 12:39 PM by tmlutas

Filemaker browser rejected

tmlutas

Title

Filemaker browser rejected

Upon putting the following url into a web viewer, the web site says it won't show because the web browser is not compatible with the site. 

http://www.bridgeview-il.gov/

So what is the browser string that filemaker is sending and is that editable? 

• 1. Re: Filemaker browser rejected
          schamblee

I had no problem with that web address in a webviewer. Display the website, Village of Bridgeview.

• 2. Re: Filemaker browser rejected
            schamblee

Here is a sample with that web address https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D9559058_790_724812849

• 3. Re: Filemaker browser rejected
              philmodjunk

What version of FIleMaker are you using? And on what Platform? Differences in version and OS could explain why this works for S Chamblee and not for TM Lutas.

• 4. Re: Filemaker browser rejected
                tmlutas

Attached is an image of your file not working with the about box information superimposed to show version of filemaker. OS version is OS X 10.7.5

Irrespective, either the browser string is accessible and/or editable or it is not. That's what I'm after because I've got more complicated issues that will crop up later and I'm trying to figure out whether or not I can use Filemaker to resolve them. 

• 5. Re: Filemaker browser rejected
                  philmodjunk

either the browser string is accessible and/or editable or it is not.

It's easy to set up a text field that the web viewer uses as the source of the URL to use. My Known Bugs List Database has that on the Bug Reports layout. You can download a copy and check out how the URL field is used with a web browser. I pasted your URL into the URL field, clicked on the "web" tab to expose the browser and got the result shown in the attached image.

But I am using FIlemaker 12.04 on Windows 7 so this is a bit different from your set up. As I understand it, FileMaker for windows uses a "web kit" derived from Internet Explorer and FileMaker for Mac uses a similar "kit" derived from Safari. So that difference in Web Kits might explain the difference in results.

• 6. Re: Filemaker browser rejected
                    tmlutas

The browser string is the string that the client (in this case Filemaker, I think) sends to the server as a statement of identity and capabilities. Something, whether it is a local problem on my computer or something more widespread, is causing this string, which is separate from the URL it is seeking, to have this error problem. 

I found out about the existence of a web facility to get the info http://www.whatsmyuseragent.com/

My string is Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_5) AppleWebKit/534.57.7 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/531.9

This doesn't work

My string in a regular web browser that works is Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_5) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/29.0.1547.65 Safari/537.36

If anybody for whom the bridgeview site works could point their web viewer to the whatismyuseragent url and post it here, that would be very helpful. If this string is editable, editing instructions are what I am after. 

• 7. Re: Filemaker browser rejected
                      tmlutas

Still trying to find an answer here. Supposedly the Troi URL plugin will do it. I'm downloading a demo for this.