1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 26, 2010 12:29 PM by davidanders

FileMaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro on...

RuudvanLieshout

Title

FileMaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro on this computer --- Windows Vista Firewall

Hi all,

I've seen a lot of posts on "FileMaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using FileMaker Pro on this computer" on this forum. I have the same problem, checked the usual suspects but no result. Eventually I found that switching the Windows Firewall on makes the Filemaker sharing problem go away....

History:

- Had the problem 2 years ago when I started sharing files, disabling IPv6 solved issue. Still disabled.

- Problem popped up couple of weeks ago but a restart fixed it

- Couple of days ago I upgraded Norton 360 from version 3 to version 4 and then I was in real trouble, nothing solved the issue not even uninstalling Norton 360 completely.

Configuration:

- Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 17 updates in queue 2 days ago, now fully updated
      - Filemaker Pro Advanced 9.0v3
      - Norton 360 version 4.0

After fiddling around with lots of suggested solutions nothing worked until I read this post: http://filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php/8864-Error-quot-FileMaker-cannot-share-files-because-another-user...-quot

I ended up with the magic solution that works for me:

- Norton 360 version 4 is installed and fully active
      - Windows Firewall is active too, i did not switch off the File Sharing option in the Windows Firewall as suggested by some other users in the above mentioned post. I did manually add Filemaker to the exception list but am not sure if that was needed.

Switching Windows Firewall on makes the Filemaker sharing problem go away every time now. Switching the firewall back off results in sharing problem.

My questions are:

- has anyone experienced this too with Windows Firewall and Filemaker sharing?
      - do you expect issues with both Norton 360 and Windows Firewall active?
      - does anyone have a clue why Windows Firewall on enables Filemaker sharing and Windows Firewall off prohibits it?
      - and: based on this is there a possible solution that would let me turn off Windows Firewall while still allowing Filemaker Sharing? 

Thanks,

Ruud