3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2013 9:12 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Closes on most "Go To" scripts

mgxdigital

Title

Filemaker Closes on most "Go To" scripts

Hello,

One of the comptuers here in our office is having trouble with their Filemaker. Every time he hits any button that performs a "go to" layout type of script, his Filemaker closes on him. I've completely removed his Filemaker and re-installed it and it still happens. 

Has anyone heard of this or have a fix for it?

• 1. Re: Filemaker Closes on most "Go To" scripts
          philmodjunk

Are they using their own copy of the database file or is it hosted? (Sometimes even with hosted databases, the "front end" file is on the user's local machine.

If they are using their own copy of a database file, check that file for issues--either replace with a back up or recover it. (replace with backup is "best practice".)

• 2. Re: Filemaker Closes on most "Go To" scripts
            mgxdigital

Hello,

They are using a hosted database not their own copy.

The "front end" file is hosted on a server that they remote to.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Closes on most "Go To" scripts
              philmodjunk

Then if other users are not expericing crashes when using the db in identical fashion (This can be a key detail and one nearly impossible to rule out), you'll need to run some tests on that computer. Use a utility to check user account permission settings. Check the hard drive out, etc.

Some of my Windows Xp users have encountered frequent crashes until I gave them a brand new Windows user account to use.

If they are a mac user, try trashing the filemaker preferences file.

Just to be on the safe side, you might take a recent backup copy of the file and run a full recover on it to check for damage. While a damaged file should create problems for all your users, there's always the possibility that the one user having trouble is doing some subtle thing different that is encountering the damage and crashing the file--perhaps by accessing a different group of records than other users.