6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2010 10:10 AM by GMack

Filemaker closes when attempting to print.

GMack

Title

Filemaker closes when attempting to print.

Filemaker 10.0v3 (& 10.0) closes when attempting to print anything. After reinstalling it works for approximately 2 weeks and then fails again. Has anyone experienced this or am I an isolated incident? Fails when using a script, assigning Print to a button or using the File, Print method.

• 1. Re: Filemaker closes when attempting to print.
          philmodjunk

What Operating system?

What Printer?

• 2. Re: Filemaker closes when attempting to print.
            GMack

PhilModJunk,

XP Professional and any network printer we have in the factory (set as a default).

Filemaker closes immediately when my colleague selects File, Print. She does not even get an opportunity to see the print dialog box...it closes that quickly.

• 3. Re: Filemaker closes when attempting to print.
              philmodjunk

Thanks,

That rules out Snow Leopard issues for one.

Can she save as PDF?

Can she print to a local printer?

If you open a copy of her file on your computer, can you print to a network computer?

If she creates a small test DB file in Filemaker can she print from it?

(Each of these tests investigate different possible causes for the problem.)

• 4. Re: Filemaker closes when attempting to print.
                GMack

Hello Phil,

She can save as a PDF but is not connected to a local printer. I should have mentioned that my database is shared on a server running Filemaker Server 10.0 and every other seat can print. IT verified that all computers with Filemaker seats installed are similarly configured. When she created a small test DB file in Filemaker she could print from it. 

Thanks for the assistance,

George McNamra

VP, Operations

Pfannenberg Inc.

• 5. Re: Filemaker closes when attempting to print.
                  philmodjunk

Just to make life interesting, you seem to have two conflicting results:

"...and every other seat can print"

That suggests that filemaker pro might need to be re-installed on her machine. They are printing from the same database file and have their network printers mapped exactly the same way?

"When she created a small test DB file in Filemaker she could print from it. "

When you can print from one file, but not others, the normal conclusion is that your file is damaged but given that the files are hosted over the network...?

Any chance you have split databases with a front-end interface file installed on the client machine and a data backend hosted from your server?

If so, replace her front end file with a copy from one of the machines where this works. If not, any chance she is printing from a different set of data or different layout than your other users? If so, your file may be damaged and she's just the first person to encounter the file corruption.

• 6. Re: Filemaker closes when attempting to print.
                    GMack

Yes, it is an interesting issue..."They are printing from the same database file and have their network printers mapped exactly the same way?" Yes, all 12 individuals that access the file remotely print the same report, from the same database. (it is the only database available)IT mapped all of the printers for them exactly the same way.

I too thought that the file could be corrupt but after 2 months of this erratic problem I figured someone else would have experienced it. 

I reinstalled Filemaker on her machine for the 3rd time this morning and she can print again although this was the case the 2 previous times as well. 

I appreciate your assistance Phil, hopefully the 3rd time is the charm