5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2010 8:22 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Crash when Attempting to Print

RobertSmith

Title

Filemaker Crash when Attempting to Print

Filemaker 11.0v2 - WindowsXP SP3 - Filemaker crashes when attempting to print. I go to File and select either Print, or Print Setup and it crashes immediately. The only error message is that Filemaker has encountered a problem and needs to close. The program has been working without difficulty until this week. (though I haven't tried to print anything in the last month, or so) The program appears to be working without any other problems.

Advice? Uninstall and try again? I would appreciate any insights.

Thanks,

Bob

• 1. Re: Filemaker Crash when Attempting to Print

Robert Smith:

Thank you for posting.

I would first suspect an issue either with the printer driver or the  FileMaker Preferences. If the crashing only occurs on a particular  database, it could possibly be file corruption too. A good place to  start is simply remove and reinstalling the printer in windows. There  are sometimes a variety of printer drivers for a particular printer, and  it may help to try several.

To check whether there is a preferences issue, try logging into the  machine with a different user and trying to print. A reinstall will also  clear out the preferences.

If your setup worked in the past, it's possible that a simple reinstall of the printer or FileMaker Pro will resolve the issue.

TSuki
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Crash when Attempting to Print
            RobertSmith

Ok, it looks like you are correct. It is a preferences issue. I tried logging on as another user and was able to print with no problems. I uninstalled Filemaker and then re-installed it. It still crashes when I select Print. I also changed default printers and tried printing elsewhere to see if it was a printer driver problem. It still crashed. Is there any other way of clearing / erasing the preferences?

Thanks,

Bob

• 3. Re: Filemaker Crash when Attempting to Print

Robert Smith:

Since the issue occurs with one user but not another, I would suspect the cause to be something that is user specific. While preferences is a possibility, it could even be a startup program.

Under Start > Run > msconfig you can disable which services and applications start when the computer boots. Particularly in the 'Startup' tab, try disabling all non-essential items to make sure none of them are causing a conflict.

Unfortunately, many user specific options are located in the registry and it is not recommended that you manually modify or remove these.

TSuki
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Crash when Attempting to Print
                RobertSmith

Ok, hopefully the issue is resolved. Here's what I did.

1. I moved the original problem file to my Mac with Filemaker 10 (old Mac). The file printed without problem.

2. I, again, uninstalled Filemaker 11, restarted the computer, and reinstalled Filemaker 11.

3. The problem still persisted.

4. Based on some other printing problem posts in the forum, I ran the recovery function on the file and on several other files which caused a crash.

5. Each of the recovered files were able to print.

6. My current theory is that some problem with the original file caused the crash. Whatever problem that was transferred to each additional file I tried to print causing the same crash. The fact that multiple files were affected caused the problem to present as a program / preferences problem rather than a file problem. Running the recovery on the affected files corrected whatever the original problem was. The interesting thing for me is that the original problem file printed without problem on the Mac with Filemaker 10. I know that creates two variables, but it's interesting.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

• 5. Re: Filemaker Crash when Attempting to Print
                  philmodjunk

I have seen one version of Filemaker or one platform "tolerate" file damage that another does not before.