Title: Please Help Us to Help You...Post: We used to have a thread permanently pinned to the top of the forum list for this, but repeated efforts to use the search tool to find it have been unsuccessful. By posting this to the forum, I can link other posts to it as a hopefully, polite way to ask posters to supply a bit more vital information when their post is bit vague...
When requesting help in the FM Pro Forum, please include the following information:
- The version of filemaker you are using--that way we won't suggest something that only works with a version you don't have.
- The operating system of your computer--once in a while it makes a difference when suggesting the best solution
- Whether you are using Instant Web Publishing (IWP), Custom Web Publishing (CWP), FileMaker in single user mode, FileMaker clients connecting to a file hosted by FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server...
- How experienced in Filemaker development you are--If we know you're new to the subject, we can spell things out in greater detail.
- If you're having trouble getting something to work, list the steps you've tried and how they failed to work.--often how something failed to work will be a major clue in diagnosing the problem.
- If you are using a starter solution please tells which one and if you've changed the basic design in any way.
- If a script is involved, post the script. You can either print a sript to a PDF file and use Acrobat Reader's text tool to select and copy the text or you can copy a script from a database design report if you are using FileMaker Advanced.
- If a calculation is involved, please post the calculation.
1. Version 12
3. Filemaker in single user mode
4. I am new to Filemaker. Started using it about 6 months ago.
5. It usually happens when I click an icon that sends me to a specific layout. I just have the icon set up as a Button Setup... option and navigate to layout.
Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.
Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “hangs”:
Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.
To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.
To rule out some other issues with your specific computer on Windows systems,
Select Run from the start menu and type in:
Then, under the Services tab, you can stop all non-Microsoft services. If this solves the issue, then you need to look at what services you stopped and see which is one is the culprit.
What is reported when you recover the file?
The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.
Things to keep in mind about Recover:
- Recover does not detect all problems
- Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
- Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...