2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 11:24 AM by Terri

FileMaker Database Design

Terri

Title

FileMaker Database Design

I'm sure this is FM 101, but I'm just not able to connect the dots and can't ponder any longer.

I'm using FMPro 11 Advanced.

I've attached a CSV. As you can see, the field names are:
           Season
           Season Year
           PC
           Master Style
           Style Num
           IPLM Style Description
           Color Code
           Color Desc
           Size Variation

Each Product Code has a "family" of styles in it, for example, PC 1 has 5 items - each with their own unique style number.
           And each style number may come in a variety of colors. And finally, each of those PC/style/Color may come in a SS season and a FH season.

Let me explain the end result before I ask any further questions. My goal is to have a layout that will show each product code for that season/year (so PC 1, SS 2013) as a record, with a portal that will show all the related style numbers and colors associated with that PC for that season. But I only want one PC per record. Right now, as I have it set up, I will see 67 records for PC 1 and the portal just repeats itself. How can I have just ONE PC record?

Basic questions. What tables do I need in order to show the related records in a portal as I desire? Is it even possible as the CSV is currently set up?