1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2009 6:27 AM by disabled_menno

Filemaker developer certification exam

user14360

Title

Filemaker developer certification exam

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could give me some feedback on the difficulty level of the Filemaker 10 developer exam.  I know that's a bit of a tough question to answer, but if anyone is able to shed some light on it, that would be great.  Perhaps some specific things to mention might be

- how much experience you had before you went for it 

- what kind of preparation you did for it

- the specifics of things like do you need to know off by heart lots of error codes (for example)

- the depth of knowledge needed on things like connectivity 

I'd like to do it and am trying to gauge how much more time I need to give myself.  I have the Filemaker training series, and am almost finished working through that, and most of it is within my grasp, although the latter modules on connectivity I know I still need more practice and knowledge in.

Thanks. 

• 1. Re: Filemaker developer certification exam

I used the Filemaker Traing Series   and found that the exam expects a comprehensive knowledge of that book.

The explanations in the training are good and (also for a non-native english speaking person like myself) eassy to understand. I do urge you to fully read the book and do the exercises if you have no particular experience with the subject they cover. At the end of each chapter there are questions to practice your knowledge. 

After this you should be able to pass the exam

• 2. Re: Filemaker developer certification exam
            user14360

Thanks menno.  Do you have any feedback as to the specific knowledge required of functions and/or error codes?

For example, I have a good knowledge of a variety of functions that I use regularly, such as:

Get(LastMessageChoice)

Get(FoundCount)

Left/Right/Middle

LeftWords etc...

LeftValues

Lower

Trim 

Case

If statements

IsEmpty etc...

I also know the structure of a variety of functions without needing to look them up, but haven't really used them all that much, such as: 

List

Position

Substitute 

Filter 

but there are many that I don't know off the top of my head and would need to look up to use. 

Do you need to know specific error codes?

Thanks for the feedback. 

• 3. Re: Filemaker developer certification exam

You will need to know how the functions work so you'll understand the questions (and the given possible answers), but you'll not need to know the errorcodes by heart (so far i've taken 5 FM exams (including one on FMP6/FMS5.5), and never had to answer a question about a specific errorcode)

• 4. Re: Filemaker developer certification exam
                user14360
                   Thanks Menno.  Appreciate the feedback.
                • 5. Re: Filemaker developer certification exam
                  HugoLidia
                     Can one get examples of the style of the questions?
                  • 6. Re: Filemaker developer certification exam
                    mrvodka
                       Actually, as per a non-disclosure those that have taken the test are not allowed to discuss the material that is covered on the exams. Although personally I havent used the FTS when taking the exams, reading it should cover the subject of questions that could be on the exam.
                    • 7. Re: Filemaker developer certification exam
                      mrvodka

menno wrote:

You will need to know how the functions work so you'll understand the questions (and the given possible answers), but you'll not need to know the errorcodes by heart (so far i've taken 5 FM exams (including one on FMP6/FMS5.5), and never had to answer a question about a specific errorcode)

You keep mentioning a certification exam on 6 but as I recall the certification program was first launched in the summer of 2004 with the release of 7. Perhaps you are thinking of uhmmmmm.... another exam?

• 8. Re: Filemaker developer certification exam
                        HugoLidia

mMr_Vodka

Actually, as per a non-disclosure those that have taken the test are not allowed to discuss the material that is covered on the exams. Although personally I havent used the FTS when taking the exams, reading it should cover the subject of questions that could be on the exam.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow!  I have never heard of any other exam in which one has to sign a non-disclosure agreement about the style of the question.  There are usually past papers available or sample questions so one is aware of the style.  This must be an international first.

• 9. Re: Filemaker developer certification exam
                          mrvodka

I mean there are some details that are publically available such as the 10 exam being a pass/fail exam of 62 multiple-choice questions.

However, it isnt really rare that there is a non-disclosure that is signed as you are taking an exam.

http://www.mysql.com/certification/candguide.html#t44

• 10. Re: Filemaker developer certification exam
                            HugoLidia
                               I  stand corrected.
                            • 11. Re: Filemaker developer certification exam

mr_vodka wrote:

menno wrote:

You keep mentioning a certification exam on 6 but as I recall the certification program was first launched in the summer of 2004 with the release of 7. Perhaps you are thinking of uhmmmmm.... another exam?

As an FSA/FBA-member in europe we had to do exams in FM5 FM5.5 and FM6. Being certified we could have the benefit of selling our solutions including FMServer and FMP at a reduced price

• 12. Re: Filemaker developer certification exam

HugoLidia wrote:
                                Can one get examples of the style of the questions?

The questions are multiple choice, the kind of questions and the level of difficulty are as in the "Training Series" that's all i'm allowed to say ;-)

• 13. Re: Filemaker developer certification exam
                                  mrvodka

menno wrote:

As an Set Error Capture [ On ] -member in europe we had to do exams in FM5 FM5.5 and FM6. Being certified we could have the benefit of selling our solutions including FMServer and FMP at a reduced price

Strange that there would be a different standard in Europe than here in the states. The only test that I remember prior to FM7 certification was the test to become partner level. I recall them reviewing the solution file for the FSA/FBA which gave the reduced price for resale but there wasnt an actual certification test; well at least in the states. 

• 14. Re: Filemaker developer certification exam

mr_vodka wrote:

menno wrote:

As an Set Error Capture [ On ] -member in europe we had to do exams in FM5 FM5.5 and FM6. Being certified we could have the benefit of selling our solutions including FMServer and FMP at a reduced price

Strange that there would be a different standard in Europe than here in the states. The only test that I remember prior to FM7 certification was the test to become partner level. I recall them reviewing the solution file for the FSA/FBA which gave the reduced price for resale but there wasnt an actual certification test; well at least in the states. 

Someone from filemaker southern europe (i think it was Mark Kunitz) came from France to the Netherlands specially to test us. It was a test of the technical knowledge of the Filemaker Productrange. Our CEO took it the first two times and the last time i took it together with 2 coworkers. For the most part it was just like the tests now a multiple choice test, only it wasn't taken on a computer, but on paper.

1 2 Previous Next