1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 15, 2011 9:47 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker doc turned into unix executable doc

StevenZarit

Title

Filemaker doc turned into unix executable doc

I use two old imacs for business.  They run on OS9.2 so that I can use an old (very) version of Filemaker.  It is 1.0v2.  I know, dinosaur, but it serves me very well until this month.  I shuttle info back and forth using a flashdrive.  Somehow, one of my files changed to an icon with PC in it.  I checked its info on my newer mac and found that it has been changed to a unix executable file.  There is no contact with anything PC, no internet connection and no problems before this.  Does anyone know how to get this info back into something Filemaker readable?  If necessary, I am willing to open it on the newer mac and then redo the spreadsheet manually on the old imac.

• 1. Re: Filemaker doc turned into unix executable doc
          philmodjunk

Sounds like the creator code of the file was changed. Do you have a copy of that venerable utility known as ResEdit? If so, you can check the creator code of the file that works and then edit the file where this changed to match.

You may also be able to launch FileMaker and then use Open from the file menu to open the file without resorting to ResEdit.

Oh yeah, make sure you keep several back up copies and not just on the flash drive! That allows you the option of reverting back to an undamaged copy should this happen again.