4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 11:23 AM by DavidVogt

FileMaker DSN Configuration

DavidVogt

Title

FileMaker DSN Configuration

Here's the goal: Connect an Excel 2007 worksheet to a FM Pro 7 database that is accessed remotely from a FM Server 11 Advanced.

Windows 7
      MS Excel 2007
      FM Server 11 Advanced
      FM ODBC driver 11.3.81

I am brand new to ODBC and still green when it comes to FileMaker. I believe I am doing everything correctly, but it is not working.

I go through the DSN configuration, entering the IP address, Database, etc. At the end, I test it and it is successful.
      Click image for larger version.   Name: test.png  Views: 0  Size: 11.7 KB  ID: 1189

However, when I click "Done" and enter the same username and password, I get this error.
      Click image for larger version.   Name: done.png  Views: 0  Size: 8.9 KB  ID: 1188

If anyone can shine some light on this, or point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've spent the last few days scouring the FM forums, Google, Yahoo, Excel forums, and everything I could think of, but found nothing related to this specific occurrence. Maybe it is a user error, but I'm dumbfounded. Please help.

To clarify:
      Test results in "Test completed successfully."
      After clicking Done, I always get the "Communication link failure" error.