1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 30, 2011 5:12 PM by LaRetta_1

filemaker erases files at end of day

lorainejones

Title

filemaker erases files at end of day

I work in a testing center that uses filemaker pro to allow students to sign in, verifies what class they are in and also serves as a record keeper.

At the end of the day my manager has me search the files for the day I worked. I then use the save/send records as an excel file option to create an excel file. I open the excel file and alphabatize the records. I use this list to verify that the number of exams in the filebox matches the number in the excel file. After this I copy the filemaker pro icon on the desktop and save it on a flash drive. I also save the excel file with the date as a title.

In the past few weeks my manager arrives the next day and all of the files from the previous day are erased. I have saved the files like this for the past year and this has just recently began. It has only happened on my shift and she is convinced it is me but I have not changed anything about the procedure. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

• 1. Re: filemaker erases files at end of day
          LaRetta_1

Hi Loraine,

Let's try to walk through this.  These probably aren't the issue but they would be things I would check if troubleshooting:

"I work in a testing center that uses filemaker pro to allow students to sign in, verifies what class they are in and also serves as a record keeper."

Is this file on FileMaker Server?  Is it a dedicated server box or do you have it on a network server (using network server would be disaster).

"After this I copy the filemaker pro icon on the desktop and save it on a flash drive. "

If the file is served, is it still open at the time?  Served files should be closed before you copy them.  Are external backups allowed to run on this directory?  Why do you save it to a flash drive?  Is it so you have a backup copy or is it then the copy you use going forward?

"In the past few weeks my manager arrives the next day and all of the files from the previous day are erased. "

Can you explain what you mean by erased?  Is the file there but all records deleted?  Are the records there but all of them blank?  Is the file gone?  Are only some records missing (the ones you have as a found set the night before)?