9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2012 4:46 PM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Error 729 Handling

hobbiesdeveloper

Title

Filemaker Error 729 Handling

Hello,

Is there a way to display the record number for which record an error occurs when using import records in a script?

I'm currently trying to import records from a file and there might be a product that's in the file that has already been setup in the Filemaker Database which will cause a 729 error but would like to output a message stating which record/records the error showed up for and had to skip?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Error 729 Handling
          GuyStevens

I don't know if what you ask is possible or not but I was thinking of another way to go about this.

You could make two extra timestamp fields in your table called "Created" and "Modified" And you could set as auto enter options that one would set a timestamp when the record gets created and the other would set a timestamp once the record gets modified.

That way you can import your data and see all the timestamps of creation or modification.

I don't know if that might help you get any further.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Error 729 Handling
            philmodjunk

There is no way that I know of the identify the record that was not imported.

What problem are you trying to solve when this happens?

There are several different approaches you can investigate depending on what you need to do here.

You might try an update import with the add records option or you might import into a different table and use a relationship between it and the target table to identify records that already exist in the target table. After resolving the issues produced by these records, you could then import a from this interim table into the target table.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Error 729 Handling
              hobbiesdeveloper

What I'm trying to solve is getting the Product ID field name for each Record that does not get imported but skipped when using the Import Record function.

The reason why I need the Product ID for all the records that get skipped by the import function so I can check to make sure the correct part number was entered in the file.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Error 729 Handling
                philmodjunk

Then perhaps importing first into an interim table so you can compare records to those already in the target table via a relationship based on part number will serve...

• 5. Re: Filemaker Error 729 Handling
                  hobbiesdeveloper

So is there no way to find out which row from the file that caused the error and skip?

• 6. Re: Filemaker Error 729 Handling
                    Sorbsbuster

"So is there no way to find out which row from the file that caused the error and skip?"

Yes: "Then perhaps importing first into an interim table so you can compare records to those already in the target table via a relationship based on part number will serve..."

----------------------------------

Import the new records into an interim file (or Table).  Set that table to have a relationship using:

InterimTable::ProductID = DestinationTable::ProductID

Then, for example, create a calculation field in the interim table (there are many other ways):

ExistingProductIDYesNo = If ( Count (DestinationTable::ProductID ) = 0 ; "No ; "Yes" )

Then search in the interim table for all records where this equals 'No'.  That will be the new ProductIDs that do not exist in the existing table.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Error 729 Handling
                      philmodjunk

with the above tables/relationship, you don't need a calculation field.

You can just enter find mode and specify an * in the DestinationTable::PRoductID field to find only those records that match to an existing record in the destination table.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Error 729 Handling
                        hobbiesdeveloper

I would like to just be able to export the location of where the error occured instead of having to import new records into an interim file or Table?

For the FileMaker Errror that shows how many errors occured and records skipped during the record import process is there just a way to find the error file and locate where the errors occured?

Thanks

• 9. Re: Filemaker Error 729 Handling
                          philmodjunk

As we have both said before, this is not possible. That's why we are recommending this alternative.