AnsweredAssumed Answered

FileMaker for Genealogy

Question asked by genesguy on May 25, 2010
Latest reply on May 29, 2017 by rouelf

Title

FileMaker for Genealogy

Does anyone on the Forum use FM for Genealogy (aka Family History) data ?  I'm using FM 8.5, and about to upgrade to 11, on Mac OS 10.5.  I needed a relational DB to tie together variety of data types:  census, vital records (birth, marriage, death), and church records (baptisms, marriages, burials).  So far I'm reasonably pleased with my (novice) efforts and results to date (although I'm still script-illiterate) but would like to exchange ideas/techniques with folks doing the same kinds of things.

Update.  I've seen a few earlier posts which appear to address usingt FM as a 'complete' genealogy solution.  I already use Reunion for standard tree-oriented genealogy data, and don't want to replicate those features.  My use of FM is for managing large amounts of data about people with a single common surname, many of whom are not known to be related to others in the database.  So I have, for example, 15,000 individual Census entries, 5,000 church-event instances, and 30,000 BMD (Birth, Marriage, Death) records, and I match them through to an individual when-and-if I identify an individual.  FYI the genealogical term is a 'one-name study'.  Thanks

Outcomes