1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 9, 2012 10:34 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker Go and External Container

DaveZavelson

Title

Filemaker Go and External Container

I'm having trouble getting Filmaker Go to read from an external container within Filemaker 12.  I've got the database setup and I'm able to access the database externally over the network through FileMaker Go.  So I'm able to access all of the records and data perfectly well from my iPad with the database from the host PC.

My issue is that I have a bunch of large video files that I want to be able to play on the ipad within the database.  I've stored the video within a Container field in the host database.  When I pull up that field in FileMaker Go is just tells me that the "File cannot be found" and shows me the path of where the file is on the PC.  I've tried embedding as a QuickTime and also just a File in the container.  

For what its worth, I have been able to the video to playback on the iPad if I transfer the whole database locally with the video in the container as a file.  But this won't be a good solution for me given the size of these files.  I can't have them all stored locally within Go.  They need to be hosted elsewhere. 

Thanks for the help.

Dave

• 1. Re: Filemaker Go and External Container
          philmodjunk

Questions about FileMaker Go are best asked in the FM GO forum (see tab at top of this screen). I don't know if this is still true for FM GO for FileMaker 12, but previous versions would not work with "store a reference" files in a container field and videos are required by FileMaker to be "store a reference". So this is likely the reason why it is not working. I think, however, you might be able to set up a web viewer to open and play the video...