4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 2:43 AM by Marnix

Filemaker keeps losing connection to shared database

Marnix

Title

Filemaker keeps losing connection to shared database

Filemaker version: Filemaker Pro 10

Short situation description:

I administer a small office's database. We use a commercial ADSL connection to connect to the internet (4mb down, 768kb up). We run Filemaker on a small 'server' to share a database on the local LAN to 3 other computers. The database is quite small and not very performance heavy. It works flawlessly on the local LAN.

Problem:

To assist one of our employees with working from home or other locations on a laptop I have set up the server to share the database on the internet (port forwarded properly from the ADSL modem to the server). It all works except that the laptop keeps losing the connection to the database constantly. 

I have checked the laptop's settings and it can browse the internet normally and download at good speeds. Even when I download something in the background for testing while using Filemaker to connect, the download proceeds normally while Filemaker disconnects. 

The laptop is used both wireless and wired from the other location. It runs Windows Vista, Comodo firewall, AVG Free and nothing else. It used purely for Filemaker.

Sometimes I can work with the database over the internet for a long time before it gives a disconnect, sometimes it disconnects as soon as I log in. 

Things I've already done:

* Basic network diagnosis (checking cables, server software/connection, etc., the local LAN is working fine and we've never had these disconnect problems locally).

* Internet connection check (phoned my provider, etc., but we've never had problems with it before and we can mail/download without problems).

* Unchecked the 'disconnect if idle' option in the privilege set

* Tested with another laptop and another wireless/wired connection (problem persists)

* Plugged the laptop into our local LAN (which makes it work flawlessly).

* Tried it from my home computer which is wired into my private ADSL connection (also gives erratic disconnects)

* Read up on Vista having problems with DHCP on some older modems/connections and implemented the registry fixes therein (didn't help).

I'm a bit at wit's end here and hope the community can help.

• 1. Re: Filemaker keeps losing connection to shared database
          MikeyG79
             What about having people remote from the laptop to their PCs, then run FM from there.
          • 2. Re: Filemaker keeps losing connection to shared database
            philmodjunk

How reliable of a connection to the internet is your ADSL hookup? When just browsing the net, do you get a lot of disconnects? The reason I ask is that I have to use DSL here where I am and it's a real crap shoot sometimes to get any connectivity at all.

• 3. Re: Filemaker keeps losing connection to shared database
              Marnix

Thank you for the responses.

I tested the connections by running a download/upload concurrently with Filemaker (i.e. downloading some big file from a high-speed site called http://speedtest.bbned.nl/, downloading the 1gig file). The Filemaker connection dropped erratically during this, the download continued normally.  I can also browse normally while Filemaker is connected to the server.

From what I can tell both ADSL connections (both our office and the worker's home) are solid and dependable. It's just surprising that Filemaker would be so sensitive to disconnects when every other application used on these computers over the internet is more robust.

The remote option is not really feasible since the work computers are shared between people, the laptops were meant for people to work from home if needed when no spaces are available in the office.

• 4. Re: Filemaker keeps losing connection to shared database
                Marnix

Just to reply to the suggestion of using remote connection to access the database..

I have switched to using OpenVPN for the connection and it seems much more stable (no disconnects yet). Tunneling over the existing ADSL connection to the server also has the added benefit of giving access to their Windows shares.

It may be slightly more demanding to set up for me but with some local scripting it should be transparent to the user.

Is there any particular reason why Filemaker is so much more reliable over the VPN as compared to the standard connection?