3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2014 8:55 AM by RichardScales

Filemaker Layout Parts

RichardScales

Title

Filemaker Layout Parts

Greetings,

I want to produce a report that emulates a piece of printer paper with logos and footers.

I have a header, body part, trailing grand summary and footer. That all works as I would expect.

I am trying to 'emulate' a piece of letterhead which has two coloured lines running down the extreme right hand side of the page.

I can add those lines in all the above named parts and where those parts are printed, the lines appear, perfect.

The problem comes where there is space between the trailing grand summary and the footer parts. As there is no actual part being printed, no lines appear so my two vertical lines down the rhs of the page have a gap. A gap which varies on length according to the number of lines in the report.

Is there some other part that I can put in here to 'fill' the gap or perhaps some special trick I can employ on the existing parts so that I can achieve my objective?

Image.JPG

• 1. Re: Filemaker Layout Parts
          RichardScales

Eventually I elected not to use this method - it would have been helpful if there was a definable layout part which was used as the 'filler' which sat between the trailing grand summary and the footer - never mind.

I decided to use a portal to display the records, I would filter the portal records depending on which page of the report I was 'on'.

Using a Portal allowed total freedom on the design of the rest of the page - job done!

• 2. Re: Filemaker Layout Parts
            philmodjunk

This is a known limitation of FileMaker Reporting. The latest versions (12, 13) have added new ways to insert background graphics via the appearance tab. These are supposed to be a way to add graphics as borders to the layout so you might explore those options in FileMaker help to see if you can get that to work for you. (And let us know if that doesn't work for this particular issue.)

• 3. Re: Filemaker Layout Parts
              RichardScales

Thank you for that. I have been working in Filemaker 11 though for this project the user will be using Filemaker 13. I just took a quick look and can see that it is very easy to set a background image to an object and/or an entire layout. I can see that this would help achieve the effect that I was after though having now gone down the route of using a portal view and filtering records depending on which page of the report I want to display I can already see that I would be able to apply more flexibility using the portal based method - ie. different 'first' or 'last' pages etc.

Thank you for your quick response.