AnsweredAssumed Answered

FileMaker Needs To Clone It's Container Field

Question asked by disabled_Rob_2 on Jan 4, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 6, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

FileMaker Needs To Clone It's Container Field

WHY ? is Preview App showing my Images and not FileMaker ?

Dear Forum and Architects of FileMaker,

There is REALLY SOMETHINGS WRONG with the developments of FileMaker's Container fields ! Period !

i have spend an entire week searching many forums and Googling for trying to find only the simple basic simplicities of FileMaker's container fields — for understanding Her Container Field Foundation — for simply knowing 'how' and "where" to implement the best container field having the most basic fundamental simplicity and efficiency !!

i say there is something wrong revolving around FileMaker's Container Field ?  Does the FileMaker Community realize all the colossal mountain heaps of post; questions; explanations; manuals; blueprints and  'How To' deal with the current Container. The internet community is flooded with FileMaker's Container Dilemma — "the container field that has evolved to having so many over whelming options and all Her container options are spread out accessed from various locations within Her application !!!

Trying to shift through all the mountains of information ... trying to make sense for knowing which is the best way to go whats my best option for simplicity and efficiency .. i am forced to read tons of information and manuals just for trying to make sense of Her Raw Basic structure !! --

Actually i consider myself a newbe dumie when it comes to container fields cause ever since FileMaker began i never wanted to mess around / touch container fields in any of my Solutions.

Over countless years with FileMaker ever since She was just Claris, i've learned Her best intellectual path is just keep seeking FileMaker's basic simplicities and stay with that because She will keep evolving anyway. FileMaker can lead you down long long long roads and weeks months years on the wrong path !!

i m finding myself having to read over tons of information about how to have FileMaker's container field linked to external files and interact with them fearing the worse that its going to lead me all down the wrong road !! i am on Mac OS and was on Friendly FileMaker Advance 12 and i am not relating to any iOS devices.

What is all this ? Everybody talks about external file references. But it seems to be all about leaving FileMaker environment ?? you can do that with apple scripts ? Open external applications where it was created.

Isn't this counter productive, the user having to leave the FileMaker environment for entering another window another application ?

FileMaker opens movies and sounds within its own environment and it does so without any external application ?

- so why not other files especially images, and again, Just like iOS iPhone Camera Roll you can click on any thumbnails and you get a full size image.

what does FileMaker's thumbnails really mean ? Is this saying .. that one can insert in any way, any full size image and FileMaker will reduce the pixel to a thumbnail bits ? Or does the full size image have to reside in another location ?

The long road i been on for understanding FileMakers container used in file referencing really means one has to leaving their FileMaker environment for doing anything with the file thats been referenced ?

i did not come long years evolving a FileMaker Solution to find out container fields efficiency forces me out of the FileMaker environment. --

i seek to have scripting so when simply accessing my thumbnail file references, it will make the images pop up, in their full size, in a larger container field ! don't even tell me FileMaker cannot do this ?

And i always though if i had an image file reference, means.. theres nothing there!! no image ! only a text references is store to be seen!! And this sounds great ! Really a reduction in size !! So i guess then this is what i want .. to simply have my Mac OS desktop create a all new folder and simpy store all my photos there on the desktop.

So in FileMaker my containers can simply have a text file reference. which my scripts would activate to open the full size image in another larger container ? but then using only text file reference i wouldn't have any thumbnail images. So i guess thats the way it goes ? one has two choices ? -

if there is two choices then that means different file sizes ?????

BOTTOM LINE. .. i think FileMaker should revamp its concepts about HAVING JUST ONE TYPE CONTAINER FIELD DOING TOO MANY THINGS ? MAYBE SIMPLIFY THE CURRENT CONTAINER FIELD BY HAVING SEVERAL TYPES OF CONTAINER FIELDS FOR DOING DIFFERENT TASK ? IN ANY CASE GOOGLE DATA APPEARS TO SHOW THAT FILEMAKERS CURRENT CONTAINER FIELD CAN CRASH TAKE DOWN THE FILE ?

To me FileMaker is a esoteric component for advancing earth computers and i would hate to see Her — THIS FINE INTERNAL ENGINE GO THE WRONG DIRECTION. thank you for your time,

robert 'jesus Land Tidd' lewis

Outcomes