5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2013 4:57 AM by JimMac

Filemaker Network Auto Open?

AnswerFeedback_6

Title

Filemaker Network Auto Open?

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to set the office computers up with a bit more automation in place at the moment, to help minimise human error. What i'm trying to have happen is the computer auto starts, then logs into the Filemaker user account, and opens a file that can then be shared to the network.

I've got everything done except the very last part, i've written a batch file to open the filemaker file, however, when this file opens, a dialog box pops up asking whether i want to 'Open Without Sharing' or 'Open' or 'Cancel'. I'm wondering whether there is a way to automatically select 'Open'. I could download an automatic clicking program and time it to click when the file opens, wait a minute to make sure the dialog box is up and then set it to click, but i'd really rather not do that.

TL;DR - Is it possible to select 'Open' when opening a .fmp12 file? (so it is shared on the network).

Hope to hera from you guys soon,

Marty

• 1. Re: Filemaker Network Auto Open?
          JimMac

It is not recommend to do Sharing of a file like you are doing.  Files can be easily corrupted.

To share a database you must either HOST (max of 10 users) or FileMaker Server [10+ licensed users]

Check out Help on HOSTing a FM datatbase.

Jim...

• 2. Re: Filemaker Network Auto Open?
            philmodjunk

To clarify a bit:

If Answer Feedback is opening the file with FileMaker Pro on the server machine, then he is Hosting the file.

If he has placed the file in a shared directory on the server and is either double clicking the file or using Open from the File menu to open the file with the copy of FileMaker on his machine, he risks damaging the file.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Network Auto Open?
              JimMac

To clarity a bit:

Then he doesn't know how to HOST a file.

Jim...

• 4. Re: Filemaker Network Auto Open?
                AnswerFeedback_6

Cheers for the reply Jim. So just to clarify, to properly host the file it must be saved and opened on the local machine and not a remote server location? That makes sense and i'm surprised i didn't do that naturally :s

I've just changed to how you've described and the automated startup works like a dream, cheers for that mate!

• 5. Re: Filemaker Network Auto Open?
                  JimMac

FMP lets you HOST (act as a Server for small 10 client cases) 

OR...

Buy their FMP Server software for more than 10 client use.

Both are Servers by definition.

HOSTing has some set up details that are Built in to the Server .

The computer that HOST's your DB or Server DB can be the same computer

But...

The computer must be ROBUST to handle multiple Clients.  On large Client demand, most buy a SERVER COMPUTER or even Rack them for large companies demanding 10k client demand.

The location of your HOST computer must be accessible by IP address to your Clients.  I have one on a local network and also one on an internet accessible IP.

Your pick for your use.cool

In other words your

on the local machine

can be used remotly or locallywink, but always a Client must Open Remote... to access the Served DB.

Jim...