8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2009 12:22 PM by Jade

FileMaker Newbie

MBschoolLabTech

Title

FileMaker Newbie

Hi - I'm using Filemaker v.7 and I am setting up an inventory using a modified Asset template I found online. I have a List view that gives me Item, Category, Location, Serial #, and IP Address. I want to be able to print out the list sorted by IP Address - but it's not sorting the addresses correctly:

What am I doing wrong? Keep in mind - talk in small words and short sentences because I have no clue what I am doing! 

Thanks!!

MB 

• 1. Re: FileMaker Newbie
          TSGal

MBschoolLabTech:

Thank you for your post.

I just set up the similar file and table (TEST) with one Text field: IP Address.

I created five records with the same values as you.  That is:

I then sorted IP Address Ascending, and the results I received were:

Any additional information you can provide would be appreciated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FileMaker Newbie
            MBschoolLabTech

TSGal -- thanks sooooo much for your response! I thought I had replied to your question but it seems to have gotten lost. 

I will try to explain as best as I can. I needed to update our school computer inventory. The old one was in Filemaker but I wanted more fields and more information tracked on the computers so I used an inventory template that I found under "Start New Database" - on that file there is a data entry file and a list file. I added a field for IP Addresses and then on the list I added a column for IP Addresses to appear on that. Then in order to get the sorting I copied the format or data definition from the previous column and modified it to pull the data from IP Addresses. Under definition of database it looks like this:

Case(HiliteSortedBy = "ipaddressA"; GetRepetition(HiliteLibrary; 1);

HiliteSortedBy = "ipaddressD"; GetRepetition(HiliteLibrary; 2);

"") 

So as you see -- when it sorts - it's not recognizing the numbers after the "." as full numbers. Your results gave you:

What I need is:

That is the numerical order I need. And I can't have it totally ignore the 76. because I have some numbers that are 78.123, etc.  But I need to be able to sort and print in numerical order of the IP Address so I know what ones are available for use or what user is causing too much load to the system, etc.

I hope that helps == sorry I'm not more familiar with Filemaker myself to explain it better!  

• 3. Re: FileMaker Newbie
              Jade

Hi,

If you want to sort this as two separate numbers (i.e. the integer part 76 and then the decimal part .123)

1. Set up two calculation fields with the firstField =Floor(IPaddress) and the secondField =IPaddress - Floor(IPaddress).

2. Sort the records using these two calculation fields. 

• 4. Re: FileMaker Newbie
                MBschoolLabTech

There is no way to get it to recognize:

I would have to separate the IP addresses into two fields or columns?  

• 5. Re: FileMaker Newbie
                  comment_1

Either two fields, or pad the "fraction" part with leading zeros, e.g.

Let (
                  fract = Mod ( ip ; 1 )
                  ;
                  Int ( ip ) + fract / 10^( 4 - Length ( fract ) )
                  )

• 6. Re: FileMaker Newbie
                    Jade
                       Comment is right.  Even with 2 fields, you still have to pad the "fraction" part or filter out the decimal point.
                    • 7. Re: FileMaker Newbie
                      MBschoolLabTech

Can't thank and kudo enough to all of you. Not sure I understood all of the responses but was able to add another field and get the forms to do what I wanted them to do - THANKS MUCH!!! 

Anyone have any books to recommend for Filemaker 7 and Dummies like me???