4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2011 7:00 AM by fmnewbie63

Filemaker Newbie

fmnewbie63

Title

Filemaker Newbie

Hello,

I am very new to the fm world, so bare with me should my wording be not filemaker speak. With that said onto the questions. The previous FM developer has some reports being written to a file on his profiles desktop, what I would like to do is change the direct path to either mine or a location on the server. I have viewed the database design report and located the /filewin/c:/users/username.company but have no idea how to actually get to that information to edit it. Additionaly it doesn't appear to be a way to run srcipts or triggers to test them without the damn things fireing off. Any and all assistance is greatlly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Newbie
          philmodjunk

Can you find the script in your design report that does this?

Since you have FileMaker Advanced, you can enable the script debugger and run the script that way to watch it execute one step at a time. You can use the data viewer at the same time to examine and monitor the values of fields and variables during each step of the script.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Newbie
            fmnewbie63

No idea where it might be...can I just run any script without it actually firing off an email or something to that affect...from the looks of the design this is tied to more than one process.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Newbie
              philmodjunk

If you have a button for starting this process, you can enter layout mode and double click the button to discover the name of the script it performs. (Click the specify button in this dialog if you see that it is set to "Perform Script".)

If you select Script Debugger from the Tools menu and then run this script, you'll be able to watch the script execute line by line and can halt the script at any point by clicking the red X button in the debugger dialog.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Newbie
                fmnewbie63

Thanks for the help on this one, I will definitely be posting more, I came from a sql background and this is all greek to me.