1 Reply Latest reply on May 14, 2015 6:27 AM by philmodjunk

Filemaker not responding

KylerPhilips

Title

Filemaker not responding

Normally, when in a certain view of my layout it seems to crash quite often, in my Recover.log file I get the following examples of messages: 

• Page 380 marked free but not in free list
      •      
      • *** Started consistency check of improperly closed file, total of 3965 block(s) to check

Any ideas? 

• 1. Re: Filemaker not responding
          philmodjunk

all that entry indicates is that the file was not closed properly--which is exactly what happens when a file crashes or is force quit. When properly closed, FileMaker sets a flag to indicate correct closure. When opening a file, FileMaker checks that flag. If it is not set it runs a consistency check to check for possible damage.

I suggest running the full recover on this file to check it for damage if you have not done so already.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3. Recover does not detect all problems
          5. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).