5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 12:37 PM by philmodjunk

Filemaker OBDC to SQL -> only number/date fields come over

kyle

Title

Filemaker OBDC to SQL -> only number/date fields come over

Hi,

I have a linked server connection in SQL to FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced by OBDC.

For some reason when I select filemaker tables in SQL, only text and date values come over. The text colums will show NULL if nothing is entered for those fields in filemaker, however if there is something entered in filemaker, it will always just show spaces and no characters.  

I have tried converting to varchar, varcharmax, char,text ,nvarchar and vchar and it always shows blank spaces.

Does anyone have any idea why text fields aren't being brought over in SQL?

• 1. Re: Filemaker OBDC to SQL -> only number/date fields come over
          philmodjunk

It is my understanding that the fields on the SQL side of the fence typically have a specified length. I believe that I read somewheres that you need to specify a corresponding maximum number of characters for the FileMaker field on the Validation tab in Field Options. (I going by incomplete memory here so apologies in advance if I am getting this wrong.)

• 2. Re: Filemaker OBDC to SQL -> only number/date fields come over
            kyle

PhilModJunk,

I'm still having issues, but this was still very helpful.

I am now able to bring fields over that are 'text' after adding a max legnth under validation.

However, my table also has calulation fields that just lookup text from another table and I do not find a way to add a ma length to those fields.

I have tried adding a max length to the orignal field on the table it is looking up from, and this does not work either.

I am sadly unable to query from the original table because there is over 400 columns, many of which are calculations, and many rows which causes it to take 30+ minutes to do a simple sql query. Having a table that just does lookups for only the data I am required to have seems to solve the speed issue, but I can only seem to get numbers and dates that way.

Thank you for the help =)

• 3. Re: Filemaker OBDC to SQL -> only number/date fields come over
              Sorbsbuster

I'm assuming you are using Filemaker as the ODBC source file?  No help, I'm afraid: but just a bit of empathy: I tried that with FM9 a few years ago.  Was so incredibly slow that I thought it just had to be my fault.  Like: query a table of 100 records for an expected result of 5, and watch it chunter through Progress Bars of 1000's of records.  One.  Record.  At.  A.  Time.  FM's total lack of help strongly suggested 'Actually, that's the way it is...'.

I dearly wish someone would reassure me that FM Server  as an ODBC source now works acceptably.

• 4. Re: Filemaker OBDC to SQL -> only number/date fields come over
                kyle

Yup, I'm using FileMaker as the ODBC source =(

• 5. Re: Filemaker OBDC to SQL -> only number/date fields come over
                  philmodjunk

To set the needed limit on a calculation field, you might try using a text field with an auto-entered calculation.