7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2010 10:29 AM by philmodjunk

filemaker on ipad

fluffyone

Title

filemaker on ipad

Hey group

I am looking into the ipad for workshop use to collect data etc.. and I am a little confused- how can I purchase an app that costs a couple of uk pounds to run filemaker when the program costs a couple of hundred uk pounds?

does anyone know if it is any good?

any ipad feedback would help.

Thanks Fluffy

• 1. Re: filemaker on ipad
          philmodjunk

Have you checked out the Filemaker Go Forum we have here? It's one of the tabs at the top of your screen.

• 2. Re: filemaker on ipad
            fluffyone

Hi Phil

I will look at the filemaker go forum, but I have filmaker 10 and 11 and the databases I construct in these is what I want to run on an ipad, so I am unsure of where to post at this stage?

My first question is about the confusion over price, as the app is so cheap compared to the full pc version, however I don't have an ipad yet so am unsure of how it all works.

I will read through the other forum a bit.

regards Fluffy

• 4. Re: filemaker on ipad
              fluffyone

Hi David

It does look very good, but I am still a little confused over the costings:

from what I can see I can build my databases on my pc, and run my main database on one pc and then I can have multi user access using ipads for £24 per user?
              Up until now I have been under the impresion that for each user I need a copy of filmaker for each person at a cost of several hundred pounds?

Fluffy

• 5. Re: filemaker on ipad
                philmodjunk

but not for iPads and iPhones. You cannot run FileMaker Pro on iPads and iPhones. You have to run FileMaker Go on them instead. They are something of a "FileMaker Lite" version of FileMaker as you can open and interact with existing FileMaker database files you access on a server or copy over to the mobile unit, but you can't make design changes to the database files using FileMaker Go--only data entry and search type operations.

• 6. Re: filemaker on ipad
                  fluffyone

Hi Phil

yes I understand it is a lite version, I don't use filemaker server I use the remote connection method at this stage, does the fmgo connect using this method or does it need the server?

it actually sounds perfect for my needs as I just want data collection from them. it is quite a lot of hassle using pc's and laptops, I have even got a panasonic tough book that I have been playing with but the battery life and booting up etc.. will hopefully be a lot better with an ipad.

regards Fluffy

• 7. Re: filemaker on ipad
                    philmodjunk

You have to configure your host computer to be accessible from your mobile devices. That can be WiFi or 3G. Beyond that, I think you'll have the same limitations as you currently have when it comes to the number of users that can connect all at one time.