9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2011 11:02 AM by rjlevesque

Filemaker player or Lite Version ?

PrathameshDatar

Title

Filemaker player or Lite Version ?

Hi,

Is there a limited version , lite version of filemaker ( more like a player ), which I can sell to customers who wish to use a database product which I have developed. I know I could give them the run-time feature, but with it's limitations like not being able to print to pdf, no support for charts, and connecting to external data sources, it's not an option which I wish to pursue. 

According to what I know so far, does one have to buy a full client verison of Filemaker Pro to use a filemaker database ? 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Prathamesh.

• 1. Re: Filemaker player or Lite Version ?
          rjlevesque

Yes, you need filemaker to use any filemaker solution, UNLESS it is compiled into a runtime solution.

---------- QUOTE -----------

I know I could give them the run-time feature, but with it's limitations like not being able to print to pdf, no support for charts, and connecting to external data sources, it's not an option which I wish to pursue.

----------- END QUOTE ----------

A runtime version of your solution has full support for charts in FMP 11 if you build it into your solution, it can connect to external data sources, and you can print to just about any format you like if you know how to develop with FMP. You HAVE to know Filemaker to develop solutions like this...

• 2. Re: Filemaker player or Lite Version ?
            rjlevesque

I realize anyone can get their hands on a copy of filemaker and right away start making very basic solutions that work with little or no knowledge of Filemaker. However, in order to develop serious, professional solutions that you wish to distribute you will need to know a little about development of software. If statements, error codes, loops, arrays, etc...

• 3. Re: Filemaker player or Lite Version ?
              philmodjunk

RJ,

Quoting from FileMaker help: "Charts are not supported in runtime solutions."

• 4. Re: Filemaker player or Lite Version ?
                rjlevesque

Ok, more specifically...with plugin yes they are. Just showing with a little development knowledge and some creative thought yes you can do just about anything with FMP that you would need, including distributed solutions.

• 6. Re: Filemaker player or Lite Version ?
                  PrathameshDatar

Hi, 

Thank you 'rjlevesque' for your comment. 

I'm aware of these chart plugins. Those are an option that I have kept aside. 

I'm quite interested in the fact that you mentioned that connecting to external data sources is possible in a run-time solution. Could you lead me to some documentation regarding the same ? 

And I'm quite sure,  that Filemaker run-time does not support printing to a pdf. I remember reading this in another thread.

But again in conclusion, I really do wish Filemaker consider the idea of a Filemaker product that is just in itself a player for Filemaker databases. This program will not allow users to create scripts, go to layout mode, create layouts, script debugging etc. ( which are features of the full client ). In essence, a session will only allow you to view or manipulate the database with the scripts that are already present.

I do think there would be a potential market for this product, as there would be many people who want to use a filemaker database product a developer has made, but don't want to pay the $600 or so dollars for a license, but are willing to pay a smaller amount for a player or lite version.

I've also heard about developer licenses that developers can buy in say blocks of 10 or 20, for a minimalistic price? Is this still prevelant ? 

Thanks in Advance,

Prathamesh.

• 7. Re: Filemaker player or Lite Version ?
                    rjlevesque

Well, basically that was my point...regardless of the main programs short comings, with plugins nearly all things are possible. (including printing to PDF) As for communicating with an external source, what exactly are you trying to accomplish. I live by the saying "When there's a will theres a way" so if you tell me what you are trying to figure out I am pretty sure we can help. If I can't come up with an answer, maybe Phil can, or someone else watching this thread.

What do you need it to communicate with? mySQL? MS SQL? Another FMP file? Are we talking data separation?

PS - whether he would admit to it or not I think Phil lives by those words too because I have seen him come up with some pretty creative solutions on these boards. hehehe

If you want it bad enough, you figure out a way to do it.  =)

• 8. Re: Filemaker player or Lite Version ?
                      PrathameshDatar

Hi,

I'm sorry for not being more detailed in my description.

I am trying to communicate with a hosted filemaker database. And my application is data separated, as in session data sits on the client side, and all working data sits on the hosted database file which the client has listed as an external data source. The design works well when the database client is opened through filemaker Pro, but then in run-time I was not able to connect to the external source. 

And now that you've mentioned that there areoptions available I'll have a look around. And if you're aware of certain plugins that are reasoanably priced and work well, please let me know of them as well.

Thank you once again,

Prathamesh. 

• 9. Re: Filemaker player or Lite Version ?
                        rjlevesque

Nothing for communicating FMP to FMP using a runtime solution. That is not possible at ALL, you would need FMP clients and FMP server. Filemaker purposely made sure this was not an option.