3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 4:04 PM by philmodjunk

Filemaker printing garbage with a dot matrix printer

bcheang

Title

Filemaker printing garbage with a dot matrix printer

Does anyone have any experience using dot matrix printers with Filemaker on a Mac? I am having problems printing through a dot matrix printer. The output is a page full of garbage whereas if I print from any other application or through another printer (a laser printer, for example), everything prints fine. So I don't think it is a driver problem.

I am using Mac OS X v10.10.2. Tried with Filemaker Pro v10, 11, 12 and 13. All versions exhibit the same issues.

Any input is welcomed. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Filemaker printing garbage with a dot matrix printer
          philmodjunk

Not all printer drivers work with FileMaker. First thing to do is check the printer maker's web site to make sure that you've dowloaded the latest driver, but you may have to use a different printer if you can't find a driver that works with your version of FileMaker and Mac OS.

• 2. Re: Filemaker printing garbage with a dot matrix printer
            bcheang

The drivers are supplied by Apple and works with every other application that I have that is capable of printing anything. Why should Filemaker be so special that would require a driver that is compatible with the application and not the operating system?

• 3. Re: Filemaker printing garbage with a dot matrix printer
              philmodjunk

Not every application interacts with the printer driver in the same way. FileMaker may thus encounter a bug in a particular driver's code that other applications do not.

And just because the drivers are supplied by apple does not mean that there isn't a newer release available from the printer manufacturer, you'd have to check and see to be sure.

I suggest that you use Report an Issue (See tab at top of this screen) to report this to the tech support staff from FileMaker that monitor that part of the forum. Not only might they have suggestions that we fellow users do not, but they'll want to know the details so that they can log the issue--bringing it to Apple's attention if such is merited.