3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 8:52 AM by comment_1

Filemaker Pro

Erik_1

Title

Filemaker Pro & MySQL

Hello,

I just recently finished working as a phone salesman and we were using filemaker pro

to keep records of phone numbers, company names etc. I am currently working on a

website for alternate health practitioners. I'm looking into using filemaker pro, but i

have a couple of questions.

- Can i create records with filemaker, such as name/phone number/what they practice/rank etc

and have it stored in a mysql database on my own webserver? This webserver is not on my own

computer but on a shared hosting company.

- If the above is possible, are there are pre-designed query sheets that can be used to yank the

information needed from the mysql database and display it directly on the website?

- In short, i want to be able to add new information from my home computer, have it stored and

viewable directly online for peoples viewing.

With regards,

Erik

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro & MySQL
          Erik_1
             very well, i assume that pretty much says it all.
          • 2. Re: Filemaker Pro & MySQL
            philmodjunk

Erik,

Given that Filemaker can use ODBC to function as the front end of another database such as Oracle, or SQL server, it sounds possible. Given that I have never worked with MySQL, I can't tell you for sure.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro & MySQL
              comment_1

Erik wrote:

are there are pre-designed query sheets that can be used to yank the

information needed from the mysql database and display it directly on the website?

This has nothing to do with Filemaker. The visitors to your site need to interact with the database directly (most likely through PHP). It would be different if your site were hosted entirely by Filemaker Server.

IMHO, using Filemaker merely to administer an external SQL database is not an optimal choice.