5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2012 8:51 PM by bumper

Filemaker Pro 10 - Password Protected Database Opens w-out asking for password - why?

JanetMcNeill

Title

Filemaker Pro 10 - Password Protected Database Opens w-out asking for password - why?

I have three databases related. I have password protected all of them with the same ID and password. From reading the help manual, I understand that after I open one of the Filemaker Pro 10 databases with the ID and password that FMP10 will open the other related databases if they have the same ID and password without the password dialogue box. My problem is that NONE of the databases have the password dialogue box displayed when I try to open the databases --- even the first one! I want to have the databases protected and require a password upon opening. How can I get the these databases to behave as noted in the help manual?

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 - Password Protected Database Opens w-out asking for password - why?
          philmodjunk

What settings do you have in File Options for the first file to be opened? Does it specify that the file be opened with an account name and password? This is the most common way to set up a password protected file to open without it asking the user for a password.

As a quick test, try opening the file while holding down the option (mac) or shift (windows) key. If a file specifies an account name and password in File Options, holding down this key will override that setting and the file will ask for a password.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 - Password Protected Database Opens w-out asking for password - why?
            JanetMcNeill

Phil,

In reviewing your reply, I think there is a misunderstanding. For the school database in question, under File Options, we do NOT have the "Login using:" checked, so that the database should prompt me for an ID and password every time. It does not - it simply opens the database (which is NOT what I want to happen). One of the related databases, under File Options, has "Login using:" check marked, with "Admin" in the ID slot and no password in the password slot. This database ALWAYS asks for ID and password when I open it (which is was I want to happen for every database). I tried setting the same parameters in the school database, but it won't save only the ID -- it requires an ID and password if I check off the "Login using:" option. How to make the school database act like the other databases?

• 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 - Password Protected Database Opens w-out asking for password - why?
              philmodjunk

If a file opens without asking for a password, there are one of four possibilities:

1. There is no account and password set up for this file in Manage | Security.
              2. File Options specifies that the file open itself with a specified account name/Password.--you've ruled this one out.
              3. Another file already opened with an account name and password is opening this file via script or external data source reference. (A typical external data source reference is if a layout is selected in file 1 that displays fields from file 2.) This method works only if the first file is opened with an account name and password that exactly match an account name and password defined in the other file.
              4. The file is already open, but its windows are not visible (the window is hidden/minimized.
              • 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 - Password Protected Database Opens w-out asking for password - why?
                benlevi

I am having the same issue, and none of the four possibilities are true in my case. I have set a username and password, the fole options do not specify a login username and password, another file is not opening up the db (it's a single table very simple one) and the file is not already open. I'm using FM 11 Advanced. The database is a backup of one I have on my server so when I travel I can use it w/o connecting to the internet... but it is opening without needing a username and password, which is definitely disconcerting.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 - Password Protected Database Opens w-out asking for password - why?
                  bumper

If you are on a mac then the user name and password may have gotten stored in Keychain. You can can remove the data from Keychain or hold down the option key and change the password and when the dialog opens the next time do not click on save in keychain. Search this forum for info. Windows may have something similar, but that is above my pay grade.