6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2009 1:58 PM by TSGal

Filemaker Pro 10 crashes on startup for a certain user

Popasmurf

Title

Filemaker Pro 10 crashes on startup for a certain user

I have a user who FMP 10 crashes at the startup logo screen everytime she uses it.  I have verified it is ONLY for this user.  I have created other profiles and they work fine.  Upon startup, the following errors are listed:

AppName: filemaker pro.exe     AppVer: 10.0.2.201     ModName: xdraw.dll
      ModVer: 10.0.2.201     Offset: 0004ba95

AppName: filemaker pro.exe     AppVer: 10.0.2.201     ModName: ntdll.dll
      ModVer: 5.1.2600.5755     Offset: 000449cf

I have read about printers, and have removed all printers and printer drivers, with no luck.  Again, it is ONLY for this user...  It seems to get stuck on the initializing and does not go any farther...

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 crashes on startup for a certain user
          TSGal

Popasmurf:

Thank you for your post.

As FileMaker Pro launches, the initial logo screen displays information at the bottom of the window about fonts loading, web publishing, initializing, etc.  Most of this information is operating system related.  What is the last information displayed on the logo screen before receiving the error?  This can provide a clue to what FileMaker Pro doesn't like.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 crashes on startup for a certain user
            Popasmurf
               It just says initializing.  I don't see anything more than that at the bottom, it just hangs and then fails.  I know what you are talking about though.
            • 3. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 crashes on startup for a certain user
              TSGal

Popasmurf:

Thanks for the additional information, as this does help.  All of the basic system requirements passed, and FileMaker Pro is initializing, but obviously not completing.  This could still be caused by some system problems (memory allocation), but it also means FileMaker Pro application is corrupt.  Unfortunately, there are still a number of causes.

Since this is only happening for one client, try uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Pro on that machine.  This should give it a fresh copy just in case the first installation was not fully successful.  If the problem still exists, try installing that copy of FileMaker Pro on another machine (if one is available).  If this works, then there is something system related stopping FileMaker from running.

If you have another applications running, stop them.  Also, run msconfig and stop all non-Microsoft services, and try launching again.  I want to try everything short of reinstalling the OS.

Please keep me posted with your progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 crashes on startup for a certain user
                Popasmurf

The problem is, this seems to be broken only for this user, on this computer.  I have logged in as myself, and 2 additional users and all work EXCEPT for her.   I don't believe it is a corrupt install because all users on THIS computer work fine except for her.  Is there anything in her profile that is specific to her that might cause Filemaker to fail?  Any registry keys or directories that are specific to her profile that I could remove?

• 5. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 crashes on startup for a certain user
                  Popasmurf

I fixed my own issue I think.  After writing to you, I stopped and looked for SPECIFIC registry keys and directories associated with FileMaker under her profile.   I finally came accross HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FileMaker.  I deleted that key and it starts up fine now.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Pro 10 crashes on startup for a certain user
                    TSGal

Popasmurf:

Thanks for keeping me informed and testing different scenarios.  As it turned out, none of my suggestions helped.

Let me know if you run into any further difficulties.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.