10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2010 7:58 PM by what?

filemaker pro 11 advanced problem editing data in fields

what?

Title

filemaker pro 11 advanced problem editing data in fields

All of a sudden I cannot highlight individual words in my records in filemaker 11 pro advanced.  I can only insert the cursor at the end of the text and erase the whole thing from the end, or I can highlight the entire text and retype the whole thing with changes.  There is also a red dotted line under the text when I select the cell.  It's like the text has combined to become one large object that cannot be worked as separate pieces.  Thanks to anyone who can help with this!

• 1. Re: filemaker pro 11 advanced problem editing data in fields
          Steve Wright

Ok, it sounds to me like you have enabled the following two options for that field / other fields

Click on the field in layout mode, On the inspector, under the Data tab 

Do you have

1. 'select entire contents on entry' checked  

(will cause the entire contents to select for that field, when you click in it)

2. 'do not apply visual spell checking'  un-checked  

(will cause a red dotted line to appear if something is mis-spelled)

I realise what you are describing with selecting text sounds a little different to what this option does, but I am not seeing any issues selecting single words (even with (1) checked) I simply have to click once to select the field, then click again to put my cursor where I want it to be etc.

• 2. Re: filemaker pro 11 advanced problem editing data in fields
            what?

Thank you for your response, however, it didn't solve the main problem.  I removed the red line, but I still can't insert the cursor where I want to (only at the end of the text), and I can't select individual words.  

• 3. Re: filemaker pro 11 advanced problem editing data in fields
              what?

I have discovered that my text selection problem (can only insert cursor at the end of the text in a record and can't select individual words) occurs in form view, but not in table view.  Is this an attribute of filemaker 11?

• 4. Re: filemaker pro 11 advanced problem editing data in fields
                philmodjunk

I have filemaker 11 open on my computer at this moment to a layout dispaying various fields in Form view.

I can select individual words by double-clicking the text or by click-dragging. That suggests something else is the problem with your file, record, field or layout.

Perhaps this field is defined in Manage | Database | Fields as a number field instead of text.

• 5. Re: filemaker pro 11 advanced problem editing data in fields
                  what?

Thank you for your reply.   The field is a text field.  I can only place the cursor at the end of all of the text, then use the Mac OSx keyboard commands of "Command-up arrow" to move to each previous word. The cursor disappears, but, if I press the space bar, the words separate, and they come back together when I press delete.  I still can't highlight a single word, only the entire text in the record.  I used to be able to do this on filemaker 10 pro advanced.  Is there some kind of incompatibility issue with the snow leopard operating system that causes this?  It's maddening!

• 6. Re: filemaker pro 11 advanced problem editing data in fields
                    philmodjunk

I only have WIndows XP here, so it could be a Mac issue though I'd expect a lot of posts on the subject if it were.

It may be a damaged layout or file.

Try to see if this happens with a new file.

If a new file doesn't show this issue, try recovering your other file and see if the recovered copy works ok. If it does, replace your file with an undamaged backup copy if possible.

• 7. Re: filemaker pro 11 advanced problem editing data in fields
                      what?

Here's another strange wrinkle.  

I found a field in my file that had text copied and pasted from an email.   I can highlight individual words and insert the cursor wherever I wish.  I tried changing the font, the size, the color, the style, etc.  All of this had no adverse effect.  Then highlighted the text in this record, copied it to the clipboard and pasted into a record of one of the fields that wouldn't work, and it worked.  Something overrided the problem wherever I copied that text.  This is text that wasn't  typed in, it was pasted from another document.  I tried erasing that text and retyping, and it still worked.  it stopped working when I deleted the text, went out of the record, came back and typed something new.

Does this make sense to anyone?

• 8. Re: filemaker pro 11 advanced problem editing data in fields
                        Steve Wright

Well im just guessing here, but could it be related to a corrupt font, or even hidden special character within the text ??

Actually forget that last one, obviously that would only occur with pasted text.

I know I mentioned I can click and select with the mouse, but I can also use  Alt + Shift + Cursor keys to select individual words (or tap the cursor to select the next word and so on) without any issues.

• 9. Re: filemaker pro 11 advanced problem editing data in fields
                          philmodjunk

Did you try this?

It may be a damaged layout or file.

Try to see if this happens with a new file.

If a new file doesn't show this issue, try recovering your orignal file and see if the recovered copy works ok. If it does, replace your file with an undamaged backup copy if possible.

• 10. Re: filemaker pro 11 advanced problem editing data in fields
                            what?

I have it solved.   I had both filemaker 10 and 11 on the computer, and I didn't realize that the files were opening in 10.  When I opened filemaker 11 and opened my files within that program, they both worked fine.  I am guessing that there are compatibility issues with filemaker 10 and OS 10.6, or some kind of combination of the two programs interacting with each other.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.